Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm thinking of doing this (image below). I have to get a new splash shield (car never came with one) and I thought this might be a way to integrate brake cooling ducts and make the hose routing simpler. Thoughts?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/4053647074_b0ff58fd92_o.jpg
My car is going int Sound Performance in a few weeks and I thought I might have them take a stab at it. (and maybe start making them for the community).
-Ekow

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent the request to Sound Performance. My car is going in for a Turbo Upgrade soon, depending on cost I will try to have them mock something up.
-Ekow

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
That looks like a great idea. I bet a bunch of people would be interested in having one.

When I posted a couple pics of my simpler aluminum undertray quite a few people asked about it but I really have nothing to tell them other than "there it is" since it's a one-off made to fit my Seibon TJ lip, with no dimensions noted and hardly any pics; plus yours has the brake duct inlets built in and some might like to have that feature.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody have any thoughts on whether NACA ducts on the underside of a car would actually work. The photo above was supposedly modeled after an OEM design.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would say so, Porsche uses them on the 911,Cayman,Boxter for the same reason to bring fresh air to the engine for cooling around the headers.

·
Very Senior Member
10,016 Posts
Does anybody have any thoughts on whether NACA ducts on the underside of a car would actually work. The photo above was supposedly modeled after an OEM design.
That's what I was wondering (because I don't know). Would you get enough clean air that way? I guess worst case would be if you had to run ductwork to them from the front (which is done now).

·
Registered
729 Posts
It doesn't work with splitters (because a splitter creates a low pressure area) but I am unsure how it'd be on a belly tray. My gut feeling is you'd get some air flow but it wouldn't be nearly as much as what you'd get if you put vents in the front bumper.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Too cool brakes I am not sure they would do an adequate job for a track car. Maybe for a street car that gets hard use though. They do work for belly pans that's for sure. A lot of OEM cars have them installed in the stock plastic trays. For example, I believe this is a Golf.

Alex

·
Very Senior Member
10,016 Posts
Too cool brakes I am not sure they would do an adequate job for a track car. Maybe for a street car that gets hard use though. They do work for belly pans that's for sure. A lot of OEM cars have them installed in the stock plastic trays. For example, I believe this is a Golf.

Alex
Since they are only on one side, do you think those are for brake cooling or just general engine air flow?

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Those are not ducts for brakes, they are for engine and transmission if that's for a Golf. I would think if it's a scoop design, then it might push in more air. It's just not as efficient as ducts from the front.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Yeah definitely not for brake use. If you saw them from the underside you'd see they are a normal NACA duct. They work well for scavenging what little air flow the underside of our lowered cars see while keeping everything as laminar as possible. It'd be good for tranny coolers, diff coolers, even engine coolers if you lost all your frontal space.

If I'm able to make one I'll attempt doing a belly pan with 2 NACA ducts (one tranny and one power steering) and see if I works well enough to dedicate the front opening to whatever the hell I want.

Alex

·
BMW Tech
337 Posts
We ran two NACA ducts on our E46 M3 race cars splitter at the 25hr of thunderhill and they work great. Proper ducting to the caliper/rotor is the important part after the NACA ducts.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
How were they integrated into the splitter (i.e. all the way at the leading edge)? Any pictures? I've seen a nice splitter on the Audi that I am pretty sure would work GREAT for our cars if someone made one.

Another similar one. The lip is pretty much like the "TJ" lip MVP sells.

Alex

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I plan to do something very similiar using the gap in my TJ lip, fairly easy to fab. I'll post pics once I get into it.

·
Something cool
670 Posts
Seeing how this doesn't warrant a new thread, I'm posting it here. I was running a little warm on the last track day as I didn't have time to make proper ducting. The stock plastic duct that goes from the front bumper to the condenser was in the way of the intercooler. It was cut to fit the intercooler and not sealed so I had to make a new one. Previously I had a completely sealed undertray, made from thick ABS plastic on the last SC I tracked and it ran perfectly, it was also NA with no intercooler or condenser. I've done this "ghetto" ducting on my new SC300, which should help a-lot compared to what it was.

My question is should I use the stock under tray with the air scoops or make a new one, I can add a scoop or even a splitter to a new one I make. I don't know if the scoops will help or hurt the ducting with the gap in between the IC and condenser/radiator. The pics have some of the ducting just mocked up and not sealed everything will be sealed, minus the scoops on the stock undertray. Any tips or ideas would be cool.

Stock undertray

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Any updates from the OP?

Craig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts