Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets all play the naming game!

I just got my gasket set in and dont know what 95% of them are. I figured that if the thread was successful in naming most of the gaskets this could probably be made a sticky for the future. I have nice big pictures to post with lots of space between gaskets for you to take my pictures to paint or photoshop and type in what they are.

Let's start with something easy...

That is all I got. Anything I'm missing?

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
in the first pic, head gasket, exhaust (metal looking one,)]

2 intanke gasket's and a valve cover gasket.

---in the second pic
you have the turbo gasket (funny looking 4 bolts one,

then you have the squar metal one with a oring embeeded, which is supost to be a throttle body gasket from what i figured.
the 3 rounds ones, the 2 small round oens go together for an n/a exhaust. and the large round one is the stock turbo elbow to down pipe gasket/donut
the squar metal one is the exhaust mani to turbo gasket.

third pic
you have 12 valve cover gromets with metal on the back side ,
you have 6 orings for the injector-to the fuel rail, then you have the cps oring/distributer

the funny looking rubber one is for a n/a manifold to check operation of the cold start injector and to clean some thing else i belive.. but it's basicaly an inspection plate gasket.
the large black ring, it looks like a seal but im not sure.

next pic, you have 2 cam seals that ride in the caps behind the cam gears.
then another seal, not sure, where it goes either.

pic 5 is your vavle stem seals,

pic six, those looks like 2 coper fuel like gaskets, basicaly coper washers..

pic 7 n/a manifold gasket(top left), idle speed control gasket (top right)(i tried to use it on my thermostate houseing, fit but i soon realized it didn't help...
egr crosse plate gasket is the long on on the bottom , the bottome right looks to be the afm gasket, no clue to the middle gasket in this pic.

pic 8 top right, o2/oil drian for turbo , next gasket is a water pipe on the back of the water pump, next appears to bej-tube gasket ?(top right)

second row, o2/ oil drain or water pipe, , next one looks n/a...
third row, not an idea, oil drian ?? the third looks like egr possible,

bottome right is a water sensor block gaset, this is the block that has the sensors and thermostate in it, between block and head ( not hg)

hope i covered enough of them.. if any are wrong shoot me this is from memory..

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
From top to bottom:

Head gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Intake plenum to intake runner gasket
Intake runner to head gasket
valve cover gaskets

Starting at top left and going clockwise

Turbo to turbo elbow gasket
Turbo to manifold gasket
throttle body gasket
Turbo elbow to downpipe gasket
Exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket X2 (for n/a)

From top to bottom:

Injector O-rings
CPS/distributor O-ring
Valve cover bolt grommets
Bottom 2- No clue

2 cam seals and don't know what the 3rd would be

Valve stem seals

condoms :dunno:

From top to bottom:

Dont know, but I'd assume its for the twin entry tubes on the N/A
Idle Air Control valve gasket
Another throttle body gasket-but the hole is too small. I have yet to figure out why this gasket is always included
AFM to airbox gasket
EGR cooler gasket

Top right and 2nd row right are for the turbo water lines and the cover plate on the other side of them
Bottom right is the coolant elbow to head gasket
The rest of the oval ones are comprised of the EGR valve to intake runner gasket, the EGR pipe to intake plenum gasket, the turbo oil drain to block gasket, the coolant pipe to back of water pump housing gasket, and an unkown gasket. Hard to tell which are which from the pic, you just gotta test fit them. The two on the bottom left- no idea.

The only thing that seems to be missing is the oil drain/oil inlet to the turbo gasket. But that's not usually included anyways.

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
the other "throttle body gasket" yur talking about above would that be for where the 'Y' pipe on the intake bolts to the pipe BEFORE the accordian hose maybe??

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ i dont think there are any gaskets on the accordian hose...

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Steady Boostin' said:
the other "throttle body gasket" yur talking about above would that be for where the 'Y' pipe on the intake bolts to the pipe BEFORE the accordian hose maybe??
Well, if you get the felpro headset, that is the only throttle body gasket you get. You have to cut the hole larger to fit the TB.

G

·
i just changed my head gasket to greddy all metal and bought a cheapy ($100) gasket set for the rest of the top end. turns out i didnt use half of them. if this is a cheap set watch out for the throttle body to intake manifold gasket (metal with rubber ring built in) and the air filter box to afm (all rubber rectangle) because both were wrong in my set and leaked so much the car wouldnt run. -----a tube of "ultra copper" or other gasket maker will be your savior!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
BTW... the copper gaskets are for the fuel dampner (they fit other fuel line spots, like near the motor mount).

·
Registered
946 Posts
ahymq2 said:
i just changed my head gasket to greddy all metal and bought a cheapy ($100) gasket set for the rest of the top end. turns out i didnt use half of them. if this is a cheap set watch out for the throttle body to intake manifold gasket (metal with rubber ring built in) and the air filter box to afm (all rubber rectangle) because both were wrong in my set and leaked so much the car wouldnt run. -----a tube of "ultra copper" or other gasket maker will be your savior!

Don't use the metal rubber gasket for the throttle body. Use the paper gasket with the smaller hole meant for the NA car (I THINK its for the NA car) Just make the hole larger to fit the turbo engine throttle body.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
wow didnt do to bad nameing them with out cheating :p thanks for the test. im no help i know.

why have NA and turbo gaskets thou?

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
On picture 3 the 2 "squares" are for the top of the N/A intake plenum. The round one is the oil pump driveshaft gasket.
That round does not look like a seal. Look at the inside, it is smooth (no rubber lip) and reflects light as if it were metal

One picture 4 the other round is the front main.
seems odd they would include a front main seal in a head set. And if so, why didn't they include the rear main and oil pump driveshaft seal :scratch:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Most gasket sets have more then just two copper washers and if you get the gasket set from toyota they actually replaced most of the copper washers with silver washers but at least toyota was kind enough to include a new torque spec sheet for the silver washers as well.

Your also missing the oil cap gasket along with the other 12 injector grommets/seals (they were included in my head set at least)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts