Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's in a boat. What is it? I'm thinking LT1? Can you specifically identify any mods to it? I'm not exactly understanding the exhaust if that's what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

John H

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
a) It's a Chevy crate engine. It is a "Ram-Jet" model with centerbolt heads.

b) LT1 intakes are flat and wide, the throttle bodies look like old TPI units, and they don't have a distributor like the Ram-Jet pictured.

c) Boat exhausts have water running through them, hence the hose hookups.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You are correct. It is an LT1 marine engine. The front pulley/pump setup looks aftermarket though, probably to fit their application better. What dont you get about the exhaust manifolds? It's a standard marine exhaust setup.

If it's stock then it's rated at 320hp.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Is that an LT4 intake manifold?
Not an LT4 (even though it's painted red) and not a regular LT1, both have an indent cut for the fuel rails to connect. This one is either different because it's marine specific or aftermarket... not sure which

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
With the exception of that intake its very difficult to tell.
Actually, it's easy...

a) How many LT1 engines have distributors in the back of the block? None, unless they have been custom-machined. They use an Opti-Spark ignition, which would most likely interfere with the front cooling assembly shown in the boat engine photo.

b) As I mentioned earlier, LT1 engines do NOT run a round throttle body similar to the LS1. They use an oval throttle body like an L98 TPI engine.

c) LT1/LT4 intake manifolds are low and wide. The Ram-Jet intake is tall and narrow.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Actually, it's easy...

a) How many LT1 engines have distributors in the back of the block? None, unless they have been custom-machined. They use an Opti-Spark ignition, which would most likely interfere with the front cooling assembly shown in the boat engine photo.

b) As I mentioned earlier, LT1 engines do NOT run a round throttle body similar to the LS1. They use an oval throttle body like an L98 TPI engine.

c) LT1/LT4 intake manifolds are low and wide. The Ram-Jet intake is tall and narrow.
All good points I failed to acknowledge at the time.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
No big deal, bro. Just trying to pass along my "I'm an old fart who has been around V8s his whole life" knowledge. :D

Another giveaway is the fuel rails. LT1/LT4 engines have intakes so low that the top is almost level with the fuel rails. The Ram-Jet (never offered in a car, only through GM Performance) has a tall intake for more torque. Check the height in relation to the fuel rails...

·
Registered
886 Posts
edit: Owned hard by FYRARMS.
awesome input GTS-33 thanks.

i was just trying to help the guy out with what it appeared to be, not trying to get into an internet argument like yourself might engage in.

as i said, i stand corrected. FYRARMS is a very knowledgable guy.

My dis-information is no longer needed here :)

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
awesome input GTS-33 thanks.

i was just trying to help the guy out with what it appeared to be, not trying to get into an internet argument like yourself might engage in.

as i said, i stand corrected. FYRARMS is a very knowledgable guy.

My dis-information is no longer needed here :)
WTF? I posted some of the same things he did, saw that he already posted it and edited. How was I trying to start an argument?

Whatever. KTHNXBYE

1 - 20 of 26 Posts