Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is going to sound extremely odd, unfortunately I could not answer it precisely enough to a friend of mine, so I decided to post it in this forum, which is one of the forums with broader knowledge and experience standards in the hole web.

So a friend of mine, pointed out, that older pick ups visully appear to have a narrower axle lenght compared to newer trucks.
i.e. the tires on older pick ups look well more into the center of the truck, leaving a gap between the fenders and the tire itself.

He made a clear example with 1980`s chevy pick ups, we noted one, and effectively, the wheelbase on the back seems very narrow compared to a modern pick up making it look as if the axle had shrunk over the years.

My theory is that modern wheel/tire combos, combinded with modern offsets fill the wheel well in a more complete way than older trucks...but unfortunately that is not a defenite answer

I do not have any pictures that show the effect clearly, but I think you guys get the point. If you have any logical theories of why this happnes, please post them

(other than telling me that axles shrink over the years heh)

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
New to english means the spacing between wheel and fender:

Vs.

The simple answer. And it applies to cars as well.

It was the design style of the time

Also things to consider:
It was easier/cheaper to reuse axles of the same width
Handling was not of much concern at the time - i.e. wider footprint unneeded
Cars were still being made frame on body construction - often the body style would change but the frame was relatively untouched.

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
This question is going to sound extremely odd, unfortunately I could not answer it precisely enough to a friend of mine, so I decided to post it in this forum, which is one of the forums with broader knowledge and experience standards in the hole web.

So a friend of mine, pointed out, that older pick ups visully appear to have a narrower axle lenght compared to newer trucks.
i.e. the tires on older pick ups look well more into the center of the truck, leaving a gap between the fenders and the tire itself.

He made a clear example with 1980`s chevy pick ups, we noted one, and effectively, the wheelbase on the back seems very narrow compared to a modern pick up making it look as if the axle had shrunk over the years.

My theory is that modern wheel/tire combos, combinded with modern offsets fill the wheel well in a more complete way than older trucks...but unfortunately that is not a defenite answer

I do not have any pictures that show the effect clearly, but I think you guys get the point. If you have any logical theories of why this happnes, please post them

(other than telling me that axles shrink over the years heh)
tl;dr

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
for the most parts, your popular axles, (dana's, 10/12/14 bolt, 9") haven't really changed width since their creation. referring to full size trucks anyway, it's the body designs and wheel offsets that have changed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Mr.Wobb

could not come up with a better answer than that.

and I know....its a damn weird question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts