Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve A and his Twins Turbo supra competed at buttonwillow this weekend at the NASA event...steve quallified number 1 for his first pole position...his main competition Jack M in his RRR rx-7 was 3rd quallifier...well the race was an amazing 30 minutes flat out...steve and jack swaped first position more than 6 times. they went door to door around half the track!!!!!!!!!!...steve has on-board video i know that, so we should try to get it up here online...this was the best racing i have seen in a long time...watching a full race RX-7 go against a full race Supra is something i have wanted to see for ever...what a weekend...i would tell everyone that is so cal to get out to the next nasa race and watch Steve and Jack go at it..the NASA guys were even going crazy!!!!....was anyone else there?.....and no i dont have pictures DU...i will ask around to some guys i know were there, see if they have any..BUT congrats to Steve A, TWINS TURBO for an amazing display of supra domminance!!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
This was a great race!!! This was my first time at Buttonwillow and I got a treat watching this race. Steve during qualifying was a second in front of the RX-7 and taking pole position is even more amazing. I think the traffic was what kept Steve back from unleashing his capabilities. The car is crazy fast and seeing both cars going head to head in some of the turns were quite spectacular. I was trying to get more track shots, but the pictures didn't come out too well, but here's what I got:

:bowdown: to both the Steve and Jack for a great race.

:bigthumb: Steve for representing the Supra.

This was the starting grid where Steve was pole position behind the BMW pace car.

·
Probably at the track...
417 Posts
Wow! Too bad I missed this event. Steve's car is looking better every single time. To grab his first pole position is a great feat. He will be dominating soon enough, and to finish 2nd by a mere .15 seconds is only more reason for him to look forward to some serious first place finishes! Hey Steve, I promise to go out and watch you run on the track this summer. Hopefully this time next year, we might be side-by-side on the track mowing down non-supras!!!

-Daniel S.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Aside from Steve's race there were 2 other races that were taking place simultaneously so hence the traffic. There was a Shelby Cobra group and a Mustang group, to give you an idea, here's a pic of the Cobras.

Here's the #1 and #2 cars in the garage before the race. Much needed respect for what RRR did with the performance of this RX-7. That car ran flawlessly, and no reliability issues of the rotary engine here. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
To 8Wasabe:

Thanks for coming out to Buttonwillow and watching an incredible race and thanks for the awesome pics. This was by far my most competitive race in my life. I've only been racing for 3 years now and I took some risks by passing in places where I hadn't passed before. Jack (Team RRR - Rx7) is an excellent driver as he drove 8 years as a rally driver (they don't get any crazier than that) and about 5 years with Club racing, he even did a few pro races this year with GM Cobalts Team. If we ever get the video up of this race, it will amaze you and encourage a lot of you to come out to join us. There were 3 - 4 straightaways where Jack intentionally blocked me from passing him from side to side and according to NASA's rules, he would have been disqualified if they were to see the video, but I'm not one to push NASA officials to overturn their decision because I'm just having fun out there like everyone else. I now know the true capabilities of my car and am proud to say that Twins Turbo have built a monster. I always knew that the Supra was an excellent drag car but after this race I can say it makes an incredible road racing machine. I cannot stress the excitement and energy that I had and everyone else had that were watching. It was a unforgetable experience!

Steven A.
Supra Racing Team

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm guessing both guys run in the Super Unlimited group? FYI, the class champ from the last 2 years will be back at the next event in his FWD Laser. He lost all coolant in the 2nd heat of the season opener, but the new engine's in and ready to go. Should be a fun one to watch.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
rock on. Can't wait until the miata is prepped to run with you guys.

:p

·
Supraless
666 Posts
Great to hear that both cars ran an exciting race without any mechanical issues holding either back! Truely a monster you've got there!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks guys for all the excitement. Does anyone know how I can reach Greg G. who hosted the video last time for me. Maybe he could do it again. I will have copies of the Video put on DVD's and have those by tomorrow for him to post.

Steven A.
Supra Racing Team

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Congrats, Steve. Like many here, I'm also really looking forward to seeing the vid.

I'm sure the Twins should get their due recognition for the build ...as if they needed more recognition, anyway ...but congrats to them nonetheless.

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,570 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Congrats, Steve. Like many here, I'm also really looking forward to seeing the vid.

I'm sure the Twins should get their due recognition for the build ...as if they needed more recognition, anyway ...but congrats to them nonetheless.
Oh yeah, maybe the twins will get a touch of respect on this forum after this.

Congrats Steve, you're doing exactly what a lot of us would really like to be doing.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts