Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, we debuted Steve A's Supra at the NASA season opener at Big track Willow springs.
It was the first time out with the new chassis set up and power.
I will give you a cliff notes version of the weekend as i am still pretty beat up, lol.

First we need to thank Erik Messley for all of his help with the set up. Erik spent a few late nights getting ready and we would not have made it without his effort.
We tested the car on Firday trying to get a feel for it. Erik drove and ran her very easy as it was his frist time driving the car, and it was also the cars maiden voyage after almost a year of work. Needless to say we were all keeping our fingers crossed that she would stay together. When you touch just about everything on a car, so many things go through your mind as the car is out on the track. Is this going to be all right? will that work as planned? will anything come loose? did we forget anything?.
All in all she was pretty dam solid after all of that work. Erik made some changes to the suspension and we all felt pretty good about the set up.

We qualified #4 in SU for Saturdays race. Steve got a "deal" on a few sets of scrub tires. The deal was better for the seller as the tires turned out to be 4-5 years old. The ft's literally would last between 3-8 laps before completely De-laminating. For the rears, they sent RAIN tires, lol..
We decided to keep throwing tires at it until we ran out of them.
Steve qualified #3 for Sundays event with an easy 1.29.54. trying to keep the tires alive for as long as he could.
During the race he ran 3 laps before the drivers ft gave up the ghost in turn #3. Steve limped it in and we spectated for the rest of the day. ( not as bad as it sounds)
He did manage to run a 1.27.41 which is about 1 second off our best lap time with the old set up set on kill. Needless to say she has allot left in her.

We are going to try to get ready for the NASA event at Cali speedway March 27-29th. Not 100% sure we will be ready but we are going to try.

We will also be putting our dry sump on the car this season. More data and we will prove the systems worth in a RR car as we have in a drag package already.

Last thing. Speed Hunters.com came out and took some shots of the car for an feature in their online magazine www.speedhunters.com
I will let you guys know when it is posted on their site. I believe they got some action shots of her on track also but we shall see.
Eric

A few shots from the weekend.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind when I looked at picture #4 was "Supra's have gone Nascar"

The car look great congrats on finishing her up and good luck on any future races.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
I love what you guys did with the fenders.

Glad to see Team Supra still taking names. Im sure you guys will take more once you get all the kinks worked out.

See you guys at the track :)

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Hopefully, better luck next time...and may you be blessed with a race tire sponsor

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The turbo just looks big, it is a bullseye S366 with race cover. the compressor cover is similar to a Garrett gt 42 style.
You should have seen the look on the Porsche guys faces after we romped on them and they came over to the pit and looked at the set up.
Steve was hitting 160+ mph on the ft straight before turn 1. the Porsche guys, who are used to being the top dogs in the MPH dept were not stoked.. They started talking about how big the turbo is, one guy said something along the lines of that much turbo, the engine will NEVER stay cool. they must rebuilt it every weekend.
hahah, engine has been run for 2+ seasons. This will be #3. we plan on freshing it up during a break in events this year. the Porsche guys also spend mega bucks on engine rebuilds. some of the numbers I hear are pretty big. 25K -40K, for a rebuild?.
Eric

a few more pics from the weekend.

Engine bay:

Is that awesome or what !! I mean come on, what is better that this for a weekends worth of fun.

slowing down from 160 for turn 1

What a great weekend.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Looks good, Eric. But aren't you worried letting those 2 little gay boys near your dog in the first picture? :)

And Messley is a top shelf guy isn't he? He does good work. I look forward to seeing you guys drop your lap times with some good tires in the near future...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks Eric! I'm a huge fan of your (well, Steve's and TWINS TURBO's) car! can you post up full specs of the Supra? I don't remember seeing it in your website

·
Pagani productions
1,107 Posts
Very good pics love the supra
Kick ass whit the supra

·
Saved
643 Posts
So the single shear mounts for the suspension have been holding up soundly I take it? Glad to hear it. I know there was concern about them expressed here previously.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts