Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my car was broken into and the radio, boost controller, and turbo timer were stolen. I have Nationwide Insurance, so an adjuster had to look at the car. He had no clue what was missing or needed to be replaced. Basically there is a big hole where my radio and heater controls used to be and he wrote up the estimate based on what I told him was missing. I later discovered that I was missing the ac amplifier which controls the heater/ac. This guy had no idea, so now he needs to see the car again and go over it with a body shop. (What they should have done in the first place!)

But the best part is that today I get a letter in the mail saying Nationwide is going to cancell my insurance on June 1 because my car has "performance modifications" I called my agent and he said it is because I have:

1. An exhaust system
2. A turbo system (Apparantely they didn't look to see if Toyota turbocharged Supras in the factory!!!) (They should do some research before dumping good customers!!!)
3. Various electronics in the car (i.e. a boost controller, turbo timer, and boost gauge)
4. I have to race the car on the street because it is "souped up" (I have never gotten a speeding ticket!, so how can they claim this?)

This is so ridculous. If they cancelled the insurance of everyone who had an exhaust, then they would lose 25% of their business at least. My car is barely BPU, if I did a single upgrade I guess they would have the police impound my car!!!!

Sorry for this long message, but I need to vent and I want everyone to be aware of what is happening to me so it doesn't happen to them. Apparentely Nationwide doesn't appreciate good customers. I have been with them since I was 16!

I will fight this, but I think it is time to take my business elswhere.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
1. Unless you told them about this all that should happen is that they won't cover it and is not grounds to terminate your coverage.

2. They obviously can't terminate coverage based on something that came stock. A quick run of the VIN will tell them that it is a SUPRA TURBO.

3. Like number one, the worst they can do is not cover these things unless they were disclosed.

4. This is a slanderous accusation based on zero evidence. Press this back in their face. You CAN sue for slander if you really want to. Deformation of character or whatever.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
GTR-33 said:
1. Unless you told them about this all that should happen is that they won't cover it and is not grounds to terminate your coverage.

2. They obviously can't terminate coverage based on something that came stock. A quick run of the VIN will tell them that it is a SUPRA TURBO.

3. Like number one, the worst they can do is not cover these things unless they were disclosed.

4. This is a slanderous accusation based on zero evidence. Press this back in their face. You CAN sue for slander if you really want to. Deformation of character or whatever.
Every insurance company has their own set of rules regarding what is covered. Just because they regard modified vehicles as high risk, doesn't mean that they're necessarily bad insurance companies. Seems like they're still paying you for you loss, right?

Slanderous accusations? :lol: Deformation of character? You mean defamation? Please don't use big words you don't understand. There is no way that would be applicable here. All he has to do is get a quote from another insurance company more tolerant of modified vehicles. He has until June 1st, which leaves plenty of time.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
USMCSupra said:
Every insurance company has their own set of rules regarding what is covered. Just because they regard modified vehicles as high risk, doesn't mean that they're necessarily bad insurance companies. Seems like they're still paying you for you loss, right?

Slanderous accusations? :lol: Deformation of character? You mean defamation? Please don't use big words you don't understand. There is no way that would be applicable here. All he has to do is get a quote from another insurance company more tolerant of modified vehicles. He has until June 1st, which leaves plenty of time.
It does apply jackass. An insurance company cannot drop you for those reasons unless it is SPECIFICALLY noted in his policy. Yes I meant defamation, but at 1 AM I didn't think the spelling police would care. And people have sued and won for less. They are basically telling him that they are dropping him because they "know" he races it.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Nationwide added a new slip along with the regular insurance policy stating they will not cover any "customization" over $1,500. They will also not cover anything that enhances the performance of the vehicle that didn't come stock. I will scan the sheet this weekend.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
GTR-33 said:
It does apply jackass. An insurance company cannot drop you for those reasons unless it is SPECIFICALLY noted in his policy. Yes I meant defamation, but at 1 AM I didn't think the spelling police would care. And people have sued and won for less. They are basically telling him that they are dropping him because they "know" he races it.
Defamation of character usually involves a third party... generally the public. In this instance, it is a private matter between blue9450 and his insurance company. I don't see his insurance company making claims about his 'street racing' to a third party, so I don't see how this would apply. His character was not negatively affected because of false statements the company made to a third party, either. His company just doesn't like highly modified cars. I'm sure if he told the company about every modification when he got his quote, they probably would never have approved him in the first place.

Insurance companies can and do change their policies all the time. In my dealings with 21st and AAA insurance, both companies have sent me written notifications of changes in my policy before. I don't see how you think these things are 'written in stone.'

Just get a policy that is friendlier to modified cars and move on with your life. It's probably better he found out now than after he needs to make a big claim and realize his modified vehicle is not fully covered. :)

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
blue9450: You are totaly over reacting. I've seen people get dropped from insurance companies for a lot less.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Nationwide can suck my ass. Fucking company. The shit I went through with them, bah. I'm not even going to write it here, but let it suffice to say that I will never ever recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Almost any insurance company is going to be inclined to drop you if you run performance modified. A lot of companies won't cover performance mods at all.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Skrappy said:
Allstate FTW
hahah

no

they use used / 3rd party oem parts to fix your car

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
:bsflag: thats freakin retarded. screw them

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
GTR-33 said:
It does apply jackass.
first of all there's no need for personal attacks.

second of all I'd watch my mouth if I were you.. you don't want to be sued for slander or "deformation" of character do you? :lol:

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
SupraTico said:
first of all there's no need for personal attacks.

second of all I'd watch my mouth if I were you.. you don't want to be sued for slander or "deformation" of character do you? :lol:
Thanks but that was already covered two days ago. Nice try.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
GTR-33 said:
Thanks but that was already covered two days ago. Nice try.
um.. I wasn't referring to your misspelling, genius, I was referring to your being sued.. :wtcslap:

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
I didn't say a lawsuit was in order, I only implied that people have sued and won. I understand that there is no thrid party involved but there is something you can do about someone questioning you personal integrity. None the less you are still two days too late.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts