Supra Forums banner

NC Emissions Laws

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ReI86 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'll be moving to North Carolina in August and I need to know what to expect for emissions on my car.

It's 1995 so it's OBDI. What are the regulations for NC? I read up on the DMV webpage, but it was rather cryptic as to what they were trying to say. I figured it was just easiest to ask those that have to deal with it. :)

I'm not running cats, so I've got to figure something out.

Thanks for the help.

-Blizzz

#4 ·
^^^^^^ Tru Dat Biatch!!!!!

'96 and older = no smog check.

#6 ·
As far as I know it's just a safety inspection... when I got my car inspected it was $9 :)

I did hear that they are supposed to at least look under the car for a cat, but there is no more probing for pre-96 vehicles (woowoo). I'm not sure if thats true or not, but you definately don't have to worry about any sniffing.

#7 ·
Ok that makes sense then. When I was reading the laws, it was weird how they worded things.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/emissions.html

"Effective July 1, 2002, all 1996 and newer gasoline-powered vehicles registered in an emissions county are required to receive the On Board Diagnostics(OBD II) emissions test. For further information regarding Emissions and Inspections please refer to the Emissions & Inspection Section under Vehicle Services."

But I also saw:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/requirements.html

"Additionally, through December 31, 2005, all gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old, up to and including model year 1995, registered in one of the original nine emissions counties:

Cabarrus;
Durham;
Forsyth;
Gaston;
Guilford;
Mecklenburg;
Orange;
Union;
Wake;
will require an exhaust (tailpipe) emissions test. "

So I guess after December 31st, 2005 1995 and older supra owners don't have to worry about emissions!

That's good news. Thanks for the help guys. :)

#8 ·
No thats almost accurate but for your case its wrong enough to make a difference.

Everything from 96 and up is required to get an emmission test, IF the county you live in requires emmissions. (includes 96)

Every car IN an original emission county (those posted above) from 1982 (24 years old as of now) and up will require a tailpipe emmission test. That doesnt mean you cant fail it. The emmission test only accounts for standard equipment on cars and if your car fails your not required to replace it. However you may NOT remove the cat. If your car came with a cat (such as the supra) and it is removed then you will fail the test. The easiest thing is to use your stock midpipe and dpwnpipe for the test to show that you didnt remove the cat. You only have to have one cat for the visual.

As a 95 supra I had to get the emmission test done for my last registration. Its easy to get your car registered in NC you just have to know the right people, or find someone who does. Also you can get your car registerd in a different county as long as the emmission standards are stricter.

Where are you moving to in NC

#10 ·
Find a good place out of the city limits(if there are any) that do NC inspections or drive to a small town, some of those small towns have muscle cars that dont run cats, you should be fine then.

Where are ya moving to anyways?

#11 · (Edited)
SupraGreg said:
didnt they just pass that new law where if ur car is 96 or older, emissions dont matter???
Safty matters. Not only that but if the location that you go is anal they'll check if you have your cats/emssions controls still on the car.

But usually they just make sure your car has turn, license plate light, brake lights etc etc.

#12 ·
According to the law it is required from 96 and up pass emmissions. Older vechiles dont have to pass emmissions , but still have to retain the stock emmissions equipment that came from the factory.

#13 ·
Yeah, I figured if they were going to do a visual for the cat then it would be a problem, but I could always put that back on.

I'll be moving to the raleigh durham area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.