Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a good electric buffer. i want one that is like a angle grinder not the orbital one you get a kragen for $20, i have one and it sucks ass. so what do you guys reccomend. i'm looking to spend about $75. i looked on sears.com, home depot and lowes but the only good one i found was a craftsman one for about $50 because i want one with adjustable speed and that was the only one i could find.
thank you

V

·
0 Posts
I found a Milwauke(SP?) Orbital Buffer with Variable Speed from a tool shop by Kansas City Works Great.

FYI, Also buy the velcro-pads, they are awesome!!!

Good Luck

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Go get yourself one of the following if you plan on doing serious detailing work. It's used by many professionals. However, in the hands of an amateur, you can do a lot of damage!

- Dewalt DW849
- Makita 9227
- Porter Cable 7428

All of the ones listed above are variable speed. You'll definitely need to purchase the appropriate foam pads as well...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i didn't state it before but i'm not going to be using this weekly, maybe just onece a month or every 2 months, i'm not gonna do this professionally or anything i just need something good that will get me good results.
where can i get these? i can't seem to find a store that sells this type of stuff.
also thanks a lot for the quick replies.

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Just to clarify, the Porter Cable 7336 is a dual action/orbital, not a rotary.

If you're looking for a good weekender-type of buffer, I too, would suggest using the Porter Cable 7336/7424. This can be purchased online for around $100, or a bit more from your local Lowes hardware. Foam pads and velcro backing plates can be added and there are many, many different makes of pads you can use for this cool 6" polisher.

sparkboy said:
I use the porter cable 7336 with the white foam.
Cost like $135

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well let me ask this, can a grinder/sander be used as a polisher if it has adjustible speed and you put a buffing pad on it. if it can then it will make it a LOT easier to find a good one.

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Your grinder/sander usually has that metal lip on it. How are you gonna put on a foam pad with that thing on???

As I've mentioned before, do an online search for the items I suggested. You won't find many other polishers that will live up to the peformance and ease of use as what I suggested.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
supralover93 said:
sorry i didn't state it before but i'm not going to be using this weekly, maybe just onece a month or every 2 months, i'm not gonna do this professionally or anything i just need something good that will get me good results.

Doesn't matter.......this is one of those subjects where if you spend cheap, you get cheap. Maybe this is a tough pill for you to swallow, but it's the truth.
Even if you do this monthly or less, a killer buffer is worth the money because they last forever and the quality of available pads goes way up <------ also translates to user friendlyness!

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
im looking into getting a buffer, is there a website that teaches you how to do everything properly? ... i have an alpine silver, how much of a differnece will i notice using an orbital compared to good ol' elbow grease?

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Curtis,

Drive down to this place in Newport Beach...it's off the 55 and on Newport Blvd. It's called the Detailing Depot ( http://www.detailingdepot.com ) They stock the popular Porter Cable 7424 and the DeWalt DW849 there. Very knowledgable people there, and they offer free detailing clinics by Meguiar's staff.

I bought myself my PC7424 orbital buffer 4 years ago and it's been the best $99 I spent. Cuts down on time and effort! In my opinion, you can get as good results with an orbital as by hand. However, it's a different story with a highspeed rotary. There are many things that a highspeed will do that you can't do by hand.

BTW, I'm looking at getting myself a beginner PDR kit...can you recommend which tools to get?

MyKarIsVicious said:
im looking into getting a buffer, is there a website that teaches you how to do everything properly? ... i have an alpine silver, how much of a differnece will i notice using an orbital compared to good ol' elbow grease?

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Foam pads

For those of you who are using Porter Cable 7424's or other polishers with foam pads, there's an alternative site for purchasing pads you normally see on popular detailing sites such as autopia.com or topoftheline.com Lake Country MFG makes them and relabels it for individual sites.

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
I have a 27k industrial rate grinder.. with a buffer pad.. did my engine bay with it.. i think its way to fas for the hood though... what kind of compound do yo use to remove the scratches/fading of wet sanding?

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
It's kinda hard to tell you exactly what products to use without having a look at your paint. However, I've had good success with Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish (Body Shop Line) #83 used with a rotary and the stiffer 'burgundy' meguiar's pad.

bobmarley said:
I have a 27k industrial rate grinder.. with a buffer pad.. did my engine bay with it.. i think its way to fas for the hood though... what kind of compound do yo use to remove the scratches/fading of wet sanding?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
bobmarley said:

27k industrial rate grinder?? Is it literally a grinder tool??? :eek: And what exactly do you mean about the "27k"?

Compound ----> "3M Perfect-It 2" <----- :cool: ;) :cool: ;)
It's creamy, smooth, it's not watery, and gentle on clearcoat.
It's perfect for polishing 2000 grit.......it's not gritty like "heavy" compunds, and after 2-3 passes with a foam pad, it leaves behind a shine that's near complete. Afterwards, you just use 3M swirl remover with a softer foam pad to finish what the Perfect-It did, then jump to your orbital, then hand polishes and microfiber rags to buff off the polish. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts