Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am about to own a white '90 turbo. I am getting it for 5000, blah blah blah. Anyway, I was wondering if this list of mods is a good set. Oh yeah, the car already comes with lex AFM (but stock injectors), Blitz BOV, Eibach springs, catback exhaust, HKS MHG, ARP studs, and a dp but I'm replacing this. Ok, here we go. At the minimum, I will have 2000 left over c-notes to spend on some mods. Here are my plans:
Walbro Fuel Pump
AFPR
BIC DDP
RAD Hardpipe
Profec B EBC
Greddy Turbo Timer
RC 550CC injectors
BIC Race Test Pipe
SAFC2 and probably getting it tuned at AAP because I live about 20 min away.

Now, with all these bought at the cheapest places(I've done my research), the total should come out to 2040 w/out shipping. I was wondering if this is a good set of initial mods. Sorry guys, I am a newb, but I would like to think I know a little bit about mkiii's. I've been lurking these boards along with others for about a year because I've been OBSESSED with supra's since I was 12. Any suggestions on what to take out, what to leave in, maybe some additionals or just any advice would be great. Don't worry about cost of labor. I am in the Clemson Sports Car Club and so I know about 45 people that work on cars alllll day and allll night. Thanks ahead of time.
Garrett

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
yes that is a very good start for mods, I would also consider getting guages to check on everything. Also u will need a boost controller and then the next mod is a upgraded turbo and u will have a good car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skeeter019 said:
yes that is a very good start for mods, I would also consider getting guages to check on everything. Also u will need a boost controller and then the next mod is a upgraded turbo and u will have a good car.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, he already has a boost guage and a a/f guage but I'm not sure if it's useless(w/o wideband) or if it's just a lightshow, hehe, I'm not sure. I think I listed that one of the mods would be the Greddy Profec B Boost controller. Is this a good controller or should I get something different? I've heard a few complaints about not holding boost or something like that. Thanks for the reply and keep 'em coming.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
intake? everything else seems good, how about ported and polished exhaust manifold and turbo? Good Luck with the supra, and before you start to mod make sure everything is working 100%

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
Sublimegarrett said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, he already has a boost guage and a a/f guage but I'm not sure if it's useless(w/o wideband) or if it's just a lightshow, hehe, I'm not sure. I think I listed that one of the mods would be the Greddy Profec B Boost controller. Is this a good controller or should I get something different? I've heard a few complaints about not holding boost or something like that. Thanks for the reply and keep 'em coming.
sorry about that didnt even see boost controller, if you get a good a/f guage it isnt useless and u can make sure u arent running real lean. but other than that ur good.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
skeeter019 said:
sorry about that didnt even see boost controller, if you get a good a/f guage it isnt useless and u can make sure u arent running real lean. but other than that ur good.

It's not the gauge that is the problem, its the sensor. If you hook up an AF gauge to the stock O2 sensor, it will simply tell you that the sensor is working by having the lights dance around. The stock O2 sensor is designed to produce a certain voltage when the AFR is above 14.7:1, and another voltage when the AFR is below 14.7:1 The total voltage range is 1 volt from full rich to full lean, and 90% of that voltage difference happens between 13.5:1 and 15.5:1. Essentially it's a switch that tells the ECU whether to richen or lean the mixture out during normal cruising (the ECU doesn't look at O2 information during WOT or cold-start).

So to get any sort of meaningful information, you really need to base the readings from a wideband 02 sensor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
toyota_supra_1988 said:
intake? everything else seems good, how about ported and polished exhaust manifold and turbo?
Yeah, he's already got a cone filter on the afm. About the a/f gauge, I was saying I didn't know if he had the wideband o2 sensor or not. If not, then I will def have to do something about that. And for the port and polishing, I'm going to be saving up some flow over the summer for a sp61gt kit with the external wastegate and dp attached. Ah, I'm so very excited to finally own the supra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump. Ok, I'm not sure if I'm gonna have all the money to do these mods, but either way: I'm wondering if any mods are pointless with my intentions. I plan on boosting to about 12 psi on the stock turbo, and sooner or later after I get the money I plan on getting an SP61GT kit for it. But, for right now, I'm only planning on running 12 psi. Anything that can be taken off this list or is useless for my plans? Thanks

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
i didnt read the rest of the thread..but add on one of those 200 dollar MEGAN IC's to your list.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
don't waste the money on an upper hard rad pipe unless you're making it yourself. Money could be spent in better places like NGK plugs and wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's 2 people now that have told me the upper rad pipe is pointless. I've read in a couple of places that these get old and crack and whatnot. Anyway, I guess I'll take that off the list. Is that Megan Racing Intercooler a good buy or should I save up to get a better one, like the spearco?

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
^^^ that and it's pretty pricey for just a small piece steel too. Megan makes a really nice intercooler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I've got a couple of potential buyers on my car for the buy it now price of 8300, WOW. And oh yeah, I'm gettin the mkiii for 5000. If I get that much, whoo, it's gonna be crazy. Anyway, I was wondering what psi/bar i will be safe to run with that setup. The engine has 105,000. I took the hardpipe out of the budget. Where can I get one of these Megan intercoolers for 200? And, will i need new piping? Thanks so much for all the replies. I am very excited to be an active part of the community instead of somebody l who just lurks the boards, dreaming. Again, thanks so much.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
looks like you should be able to get most of the mods with the money left over from the other car. id suggest a megan IC too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts