Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked my latest white MKIV. The car lived its life in Florida, Palm Beach. SInce she sat there for quite a long time, I have a little rust on my passenger side door where the rear view mirror attaches.

I have tried 2 shops to see what they said. Both said, we paint panels. We would have to paint the entire door. THE RUST is the size of a eraser head. COME ON!!

So, any shops who truly care and would help me in my situation, chime in. I just cant see me wetting that area of the car again till i get help.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They are probably right, they would more than likely have to paint the whole door or at least blend it and re-clear the whole door.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
sorry dude but if its rust and you want it done right its the whole door. talk to rajunz. the rust will need to be sanded along with the area around it to see how far its spread, prepped, and then resprayed and recleared. you want cheap go get some 200 grit sand it yourself and get a white rattle can ;)

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
you want cheap go get some 200 grit sand it yourself and get a white rattle can
First things first. We are not talking about some old '68 Camero that is a rust bucket here. Second, the rust is smaller that an eraser head and is 80% conceled by the rear view mirror.

Yes, the area needs to be sanded down to remove all rust 100% Me going and getting sand paper and a spray can, that is just stupid. I will do everything in my power to keep the factory paint 100%. This situation is not for the normal convention of:
prepped, and then resprayed and recleared of entire door panel

·
Registered
657 Posts
jfn said:
First things first. We are not talking about some old '68 Camero that is a rust bucket here. Second, the rust is smaller that an eraser head and is 80% conceled by the rear view mirror.

Yes, the area needs to be sanded down to remove all rust 100% Me going and getting sand paper and a spray can, that is just stupid. I will do everything in my power to keep the factory paint 100%. This situation is not for the normal convention of:
You know, I love these owners come on here, ask for help with a problem, especially a body specific paint problem, and then trash other people after they get the CORRECT answer in the first place.

Your post made me want to cuss and swear up and down, but I'll be civil and help you here "Mr. Body & Paint Expert".

You are a car owner, try to listen to others who know MORE than you.

First things first, your car IS THE RUST BUCKET we are talking about, are we not?

Second thing, THE WHOLE DAMN PANEL NEEDS PAINT. The body shop was right. You are wrong. Just admit your damn mistake, go back, and GET THE WHOLE PANEL RESPRAYED, after they fix the rust, properly.

Nobody with a brain is going to sand down rust the size a pencil eraser, fix it half assed for you for cheap, just so you can come back in 3 months bitching and complaining the rust has "spread", so they can fix it for free, doing the job right, which you should have paid for in the first place!!! I guess you want "Illegal Side Job Idiot Resprays" to do your paint work...cuz thats who does work like that...

Thirdly, it is called a side view mirror. Those attach to the side door panel. The rear view mirror is attached to your windshield.

Lastly, I can tell you know nothing about repair of rust, and/or repair of body and/or paint. People are trying to point you in the right direction, but you only want it your way. Too bad, time to accept something different.

If you really want it your way, home depot and the paint store is just a drive away. Grab some sand paper, and some white paint, whichever you feel is best for your vehicle. If you think rattle can sucks, I'm sure you can figure out which is the right stuff...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If its showing a little bit of rust, more than likely its 20x as big as whats showing...dont be cheap :(

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nobody with a brain is going to sand down rust the size a pencil eraser, fix it half assed for you for cheap, just so you can come back in 3 months bitching and complaining the rust has "spread", so they can fix it for free, doing the job right, which you should have paid for in the first place!!! I guess you want "Illegal Side Job Idiot Resprays" to do your paint work...cuz thats who does work like that...
You think that I do not know anything about paint and am a dumb ass because I only have 200+ posts on here. My car is the 6th Supra to be cared by me. I am an anal owner. I am not trying to go the "CHEAP WAY" either. Have you ever had a rock chip repaired properly ? How about 10 rock chips repaired properly ? Do you know the process OTHER THAN painting the entire panel ?

The two body shops said we have to paint the entire panel. I even showed them what seemed to be a similar problem on the targa. Looked exactly the same but no surface rust and instead the paint was bubbled in two (2) areas. One of them already had the paint chip'd off. BOTH body shops claimed the targa to be metal. They did not even know it was aluminum. This differs to the door, I know. Just an Example of what shops I have went to.

This is the reason I posted. I know all the tricks of painting and how aftermarket paint jobs just deteriorate over time. No paint job UNLESS down by EXPERT paint shop can last even long as factory paint. That was why I posted here. IF it comes to painting the entire panel....I will. I know something can be down to save as much of the factory paint as possible.

Thank you for the correction, it is a side view mirror. Also, just because I mention rust, it does not mean that all the "alarms" are tripped and entire panels need to be painted.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Wasnt meaning you were cheap...my apologizes, but rust is a bad word around cars. Id still go for the full deal and have the door painted...as a precaution and better match.

·
Registered
657 Posts
When the body guy is fixing it, he is going to just paint the whole door. At the minimum the whole door needs reclearing, so it is just as easy for him to scuff the door quickly, shoot some white, blam, done deal. Not a whole big deal to have a door repainted. The big deal is when crappy materials are used (exvelocity is a painter who uses quality materials. Cheap clear is exactly that, cheap crap!). Make sure your painter is putting the best paint on your vehicle. I used DuPont paints on my vehicle and I'm pleased for the money spent.

Didn't mean to be harsh, but body work is not easy. You have to have respect and take the advice of the TWO shops plus people here. I'm sure the two shops you went to know what they are talking about...

Cheers.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
jfn said:
The two body shops said we have to paint the entire panel. I even showed them what seemed to be a similar problem on the targa. Looked exactly the same but no surface rust and instead the paint was bubbled in two (2) areas. One of them already had the paint chip'd off. BOTH body shops claimed the targa to be metal. They did not even know it was aluminum. This differs to the door, I know. Just an Example of what shops I have went to.
um, aluminum is a metal the last time i checked..... :scratch:

<l><l>

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snake eyes said:
um, aluminum is a metal the last time i checked..... :scratch:
You are correct, aluminum is a metal. However, it is a metal that does not RUST!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
but it does corrode

factory paint is no better than aftermarket, just buy the paint from the same people that make it for the factory...

ever seen a 90's GM (especially white)? end of story...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts