Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 is getting an 88 motor in it right now. The old mounts were round and the 88's are square. Can I just bolt up the 88 motor, or do i have to get round mounts.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If you use the entire round motor mount (the rubber and the metal that bolts to the block) you can drop that 88 motor in no prob. But you cannot use the square mounts AFAIK in your 89 body.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, guess i gotta order some new ones from autozone or something then. Sux because the 88 motor came with the 2 square ones already on it.

When i pulled my motor out both the round ones broke in half and rolled on the floor :eek:

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Yup, they do that a lot. Most 89+ I know with the "liquid mounts" have broken the mounts at least once in their lifetime. ~$90 each from the dealer too. Your other option is to transplant the subframe from a 86.5-89.5 and use the square mounts. Or buy aftermarket for about the same price as dealer, but they will last forever. Only prob is all the aftermarket ones I've seen are pretty much solid, there will be a good bit more engine vibration coming into the chassis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts