Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sort of a lurker here for awhile, since my supra has been garaged several thousand miles away for the past couple years. Of course, family took good care of it while I was gone, and drove it around once a week to make sure it didn't rot. I just recently had it shipped out here to California, thinking I might as well have a joyride while living on the beautiful central coast.

As luck would have it, within the first week my rear end started making horrible noises. I suspected the differential. I brought it into a shop, and upon opening the differential casing, they found that it was pretty much hosed. Apparently it was bone dry, no oil in it at all. There wasn't any leaking, so best guess is that the last guy to do work on the car drained the oil, and never filled it back up again. Great.

The problem is, the guy at the shop can't find a replacement differential anywhere. The part is discontinued, and apparently there isn't much of a market for used supra parts in the area. He's found a differential with a 4.10 ratio, but my supra had a 3.73 ratio; he COULD replace it with the 4.10, but it would get much more costly since he would need to swap out some of the gearing.

My question is: where do you California guys go when you need replacement supra parts? I'm pretty new to the area, so I'm not sure whats available along the lines of Supra shops, junkyards, and whatnot, especially along the Central Coast. All the new differentials I've seen online go for a minimum of $900, and I'd rather not drop a grand on just the parts, when I still need to pay for labor too.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Your best bet is to find someone who is parting out a car so you can know if the differential is any good. Next best thing is to call around to different wrecking yards to locate one. I wouldnt pay any more than $200 for an extremely nice one. Probably $150 for something between 100,000-150,000 miles. Anything more than that and there is a good chance that the clutch packs are bad or going bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, prices I've been quoted have been between $400-$600 for a used one... That's no where near the $150-$200 max you recommended.

Are there any supra shops in Norcal or Socal that would carry used differentials?

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
GOD DAYUM!!!!! 400-600????

i ALMOST had one from a guy for $30 plus my 4.30 Rearend. But couldn't make the trip to tampa that weekend so had to pass it up man i am still pissed about it.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
look in the for sale section on the forums here. look on ebay. just dont get an OBX one.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
damn, you guys are crazy. I took one to the dump a couple weeks ago, it was an open 4.30:1 though. I've got a lsd 4:30 though i kept, might be usefull some day.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
if you were on the east coast i would hook you up with a 373.there's also a 390 rear in a pic your parts yard($75 all you can carry).one hour at the most with basic tools to pull one.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
tsuper92 said:
if you were on the east coast i would hook you up with a 373.there's also a 390 rear in a pic your parts yard($75 all you can carry).one hour at the most with basic tools to pull one.
Where is this place?

·
Project Mayhem!!!
789 Posts
That`s a lot for a rear end. I know of 2 4.30 lsd here in the Houston area, $100 and he`ll have it pulled and waiting for me. To bad you`re not closer, I have 3.93 (87-88?) in my parts car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the guy at the shop found one from somewhere. It's the entire differential housing, including the differential, ring gear, all that jazz; correct 3.73 ratio as well. Problem is that its $600, used, but apparently includes a warranty. This seems like a pretty ridiculous amount, but I'd rather pay $600 plus the labor to just swap out the unit rather than pay for a full rebuild, which would be like $1800 after all the parts and labor.

Any idea why this would be this expensive? Is it because of the warranty? Or because it includes the housing and everything?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Everyone here is talking about the housing and ring & pinion, etc. Nobody really sells just the diff itself, and if they did, they wouldn't talk about gearing, since that's seperate.

As for labor, I guess you've already got it at the shop, but changing out a diff in a MK3 is like an hour's worth of work, I wouldn't pay a shop to do that.

A brand new differential (housing, ring & pinion, stubs, all assembled, etc) is just under $1600 from Toyota, say with shop time of 2 hours even, that's still under $1800 for a completely brand new setup.

There are TONS of Supra guys in Cali. Find someone with a parts car and grab the diff. I'm sure you can find one for under $200 easily. Good luck.

·
tire killer
437 Posts
^ yes he is talking about the whole thing

i have bought a 373 off the *bay shipped for 95 bucks and i still am lighting both tires with it today.

by the way check the dates on some of the older posts

peace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts