Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got pulled over tonight for exhaust and cop said my car can only be sign off the the state referee. or section 43102, cal health and safety code. section 24404, cal vehicle code.

need to put my car back to stock asap. so i can make appointment. also looking for stock smog parts

i need advice, from personal experience or whatever u know

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
move out of california.... :bigthumb:
but yeah what year is your car? Im sure he is mainly wondering if you are running OBDI or OBDII. Plus are there any other mods they may check while you are there? Or will they be checkin only exhaust stuff?

Alex

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
if you need to borrow a stock intake box with filter or stock intercooler feel free to pm me. we can meet up somewhere

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put the stock exhaust back on and the stock intercooler i am sure you have EGR valve. PCV valve. Evap canister. O2 sensor. cataytic converter these are some of the parts that referee gone check when he did the visual inspection you can check your underhood emission label where everything suppose to be

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
supralover93, yes that was me by the bus stop at calvine. i was just about to get on the freeway. my hks carbon ti caught his interest, my friend told me the the city of elkgrove is cracking down on modified cars. also why would it make a difference on the year of my car

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
ya, they sure are. was it an EG cop that got you because that is the sac. area if it matters. also i don't see why the year of your car would matter.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
you might as well pay for the fine. happend to me about 2 months ago. You will NOT pass visual inspection and you will be paying more just going to a state referee. Just wait till the mail comes and hopefully the "without correction" fee will be cheap. I got the EXACT ticket as you and my ticket was only 300. That was WITH tinted windows also.

BTW: how many supras are here in sac, seems like they are popping up everywhere. pics?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
RichGT said:
BTW: how many supras are here in sac, seems like they are popping up everywhere. pics?

It seems like supras have populated sac recently. I used to never see them, and now I see them once a week. My boyfriend wasgoing on how my car isn't so rare anymore because of it. =T Still beats seeing Zs everyday driven by more chicks than guys.

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
getting pulled over and ticketed for exhaust is bullshit.

my friend runs a test only station and he knows the laws, anything after the cat is legal in california regardless of a carb# or not as long as it's not exceeding 96db. they are using something that is actually legal to screw us over.

i'm going to get a copy of that paperwork regarding code on exhaust and post it, i'm tired of hearing about this shit. hell i'm going to keep it in my car with me.

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
its easy, ask one of your friends if you can put your car in his name, fill the paper work out, have dmv stamp it. set up a court date, show the judge you sold it. hell give you a 10$ fine, and then reverse the paper work. lol. screw the state ref.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i was reading this the other day too:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm for more info

"Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.
Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579."

·
Power Speed
182 Posts
Do you have a silencer for the carbon TI? If it lowers the sound more than 95 db. it should pass the noise limit test. No where in the section code does it say you must have a OEM exhaust installed on the vehicle.

·
Banned
2,060 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me like 2 months ago but it was sacpd that pulled me over. my exhaust was trd 50 state legal. i didnt have my paper work. and i had a intake. they citied me for both, with out corrections it was 300 and with corrections was 220 and u still would have to pay the 30 for the state ref to test the db of ur exhaust and the smog. i did the state ref and i fought the ticket because i didnt see why i have to pay 220 with corrections for the legal stuff i had. i won the case. i was like the 10th person in the court room fight their mod car case. and i was the only one that won. :) there were couple of mustang and hella hondas and acuras

·
Registered
561 Posts
toyotasupra916 said:
i had the same thing happen to me like 2 months ago but it was sacpd that pulled me over. my exhaust was trd 50 state legal. i didnt have my paper work. and i had a intake. they citied me for both, with out corrections it was 300 and with corrections was 220 and u still would have to pay the 30 for the state ref to test the db of ur exhaust and the smog. i did the state ref and i fought the ticket because i didnt see why i have to pay 220 with corrections for the legal stuff i had. i won the case. i was like the 10th person in the court room fight their mod car case. and i was the only one that won. :) there were couple of mustang and hella hondas and acuras

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Oh, I forgot to get that CARB E.O. from you for the TRD exhaust :)

Chris

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
inline6tt said:
:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
Oh, I forgot to get that CARB E.O. from you for the TRD exhaust :)

Chris

lol scan and share plz :p...

on my old supra, when i had a front mount, i had a orignal scan of a greddy turbo kit carb eo number, which i photochoped.. to match the intercooler number.. and i sticked it on one of my piping... im pretty sure all you guys with front mount can probably use something like that. let me go home and try to find it again. you just gota go print it out on some high quality sticker paper and than seal the top, so the ink doesnt come off from the heat.... than just stick it on :p....... next time cop pulls you over..just point and say look its carb eo lol......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts