Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a boost controller.

My setup: stock turbos with boost goal of 18psi max.

Should I get an MBC with a single boost stage, and 'set it and forget it' at 18psi, or, should I get a boost controller with something like two boost stages where I can set one boost level for 'daily street' (around 16psi) and a higher (18) for a bit more performance?

TIA for any thoughts and ideas,

Thx,

Jay :blue:

·
Registered
658 Posts
first befor getting a boost controler you need an exhaust system and a dp the turbos will be happier without the backpressure and will reward you by lasting longer. You also need someay to control fuel cut recomended is a greddy BCC.
Although a manual boost controler and be quite succesful unless you have along run inot the passenger compartment you have to pop the hood to adjust it. The strenght of the ebc is that you run slightly higher than stock for genral pupose driving and reserve teh higher boost for times of need and again make you turbos last longer.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
For just boost control, without all sorts of goofy bells\whistles I don't need, is the HKS EZ the way to go? I've got an HKS EVC-IV with a dead solenoid but I don;t think it'll be worth repairing and fuzzy logic is apparently not the way to go here. Does the EZ have multiple stages or scramble boost? Guess that might defeat the EZ huh? ;)

I'm in the same boat he is, or will be when the car gets here. Exhaust will have been done as will intake. BCC and a controller would be next, max boost of 18-20 depnding upon how the car runs. I won't be simply setting it on "stun" to start with...

P.S. Oh yeah - turbo timer will be BEFORE anything else. I've got a dirt simply HKS unit in my RX7 but all of the current ones I look at now have things I don't need like voltage meters and whatnot. Bleah! Who makes a simple one cheap?

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dzeiler,

Exhaust is sitting in my garage waiting for "DP" (it's actually a cat with extension pipe by Random) to arrive (hopefully, next week).
BCC will be ordered soon.

Regarding the advantage of EBC, well, TurboXS has an MBC with dual-stage boost ($239) where you can set 2 boost levels and you switch with a toggle switch (no need to lift hood...). The question is, do I need dual or multi-stage boosts if my max is 18psi. Most BPUed probably have some EBC with multi-boost ability, but is it being actually used as such, if max boost is only 18?

BTW, what do you think about the Defi boost gauge that uses HUD-like windshield display?
Also, the Blitz DTT-DC timer displays boost. Is that sufficient or is it better to have a dedicated gauge?

TIA,

Jay :cool:

·
3,148 Posts
For stock twins, I would recommend a ball and spring type MBC. Once you feel 18psi, you will never turn in back down. :) Set it and forget it. I used two different EBC's when I had stock twins and the MBC was much more consistant.

I have an EBC on my car now, but it works great with the exteranal wastegate. It also allows me to run lower boost in 1st and 2nd which are basically useless at my current power level.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Which controller are you using that will allow control of boost based on gear? I believe I saw one out there but I'm not sure whih it was. Was it hard to configure? Difficult to install? Would it be of use on a lower boost\BPU vehicle? Lastly, is it butt ugly? ;)

·
3,148 Posts
Actually it is not intended to lower the boost, it just brings the boost up more slowly. It does seem to limit the peak boost by about 1.5psi. I have an Apexi AVC-R.

Later, Steve

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,

"I used two different EBC's when I had stock twins and the MBC was much more consistant."

I'm a bit surprised:
To my best knowledge, most, if not all, EBCs use some kind of closed-loop setup, like a stepping motor, and should be able to keep boost quite constant, unless pressure sensor/sys response is not fast enough.
MBC cannot compensate for any variable conditions.

Should I be surprised?

I'm leaning towards MBC, at least initially (until I know what I "really want"), b/c of price and simplicity.

Any particular MBC(s) that you would recommend?
Read nice stuff about TurboXS (the HP unit) but it's on the high end (price wise) @ $129.

Do you have any knowledge about the Defi HUD unit?
Any idea if the boost "gauge" built into some turbo timers )like the Blitz DTT-DC) is good enough?

Thx much,

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Suggested reading...

Awesome WEB site

The only WEB site I'd actually consider paying to get information from. The approach they had to building their own MBC was pretty good and they refined it well. There are several articles out there on MBCs and it's pretty educational IMO. Perhaps I'll start off with one of those - we'll see. I've decided NOT to invest in a BCC since the AEM will take care of that. That limits me to 14lbs or so in the meantime :( The AEM will control boost so maybe, just maybe, I won't need a controller. Considering the cost that would sure be nice...

Here's another article - I think th eoverboost idea might be worth checking out but room is at a premium I'm afraid -> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0096/article.html

P.S. An analog boost gauge within line of sight is a must IMO. Digital readouts for peak\hold are okay but nothing beats an analog gauge while actually driving to judge how things are going.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BLKMGK,

I'm of same approach on the AEM & BCC stuff. I'm just not sure if I want to jump on the AEM waggon right away. Life taught me to avoid low serial #s... The BCC is less than $100 so I may get it anyway.

I also agree that analog boost gauge is great, however, I'm not sure that I need to monitor it constantly. I guesstimate that I could easily be happy with a setup like Defi HUD unit that has, in addition to the analog display, two warning LEDs, yellow & red, for overboosting. Not sure if it has an audible alarm. And talk about line of sight...straight ahead on the windshield. Prime real estate location...

Thanks for those links. Gona look into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts