Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to replace the stock radio from my mk3 (1986.5) with a sony CDX-R3000 cd player, but I've never installed a stereo system before and I'm having an issue with the wiring..I pulled the cd player and wiring harness from my Camaro but I don't know which wires I need to connect from my Supras stock setup to the aftermarket setup..I've searched the forum but couldn't find any threads with help to my problem..is there a diagram that shows which stock wires from the Supra connects to the sony wires?..not all the colors are the same and I don't want to risk blowing a fuse or damaging anything. Thanks.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Walmart and Best buy carry the adapter. Go to sony's site and get the wiring diagram for your stereo. Pretty simple. Some of those places have the cans for adapting the aftermarket to your stock stereo opening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Walmart and Best buy carry the adapter. Go to sony's site and get the wiring diagram for your stereo. Pretty simple. Some of those places have the cans for adapting the aftermarket to your stock stereo opening.
^agree you simply need the harness and everything is color coded, super easy to do. Pm if u need more help I usto do custom systems..

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
That adapter will work okay for most applications (sometimes hard to find, so call in advance).

It should still keep the antenna up/down feature. If you are adding an amp or other accessories that use the remote signal, you may just want to wire up without using a regular harness (connector w/pigtails). Just get the one that connects into the stock radio connector, but has the pigtails for you to manually make the connections from the Sony connector pigtails.

Here's the wire info from www.the12volt.com............. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/2021.html

You can then see which colors on the sony harness connect to which wires on the Sup., from the manual for that stereo (may have to download from sony's site).

Hope it helps...

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
I dont think I have a harness or connector? mines a mess in their I just organized it and pushed everything aside.. Anyone know where the stock amp locations are? I heard Under the seat and Back behind the stereo area?

·
Registered
227 Posts
crap..i should have did a write on when i installed my flip out. its very easy if you have the factory plugs,buy the harness and match colors. you could use the a dash kit or the factory mounts up to you really. http://www.metraonline.com will give you part #s so it will make life easy to find the parts at a best buy or something. Good luck

·
Registered
867 Posts
This is so easy. Like most said...buy a install harness for a Toyota. The wires on that harness will match the wire colors on the aftermarket radio. They wire all the same for the most part.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump...

I installed the cd player and it worked for about 10 minutes, but then as I was putting electrical tape around the wires one of the uncovered wires touched another wire and the power to the cd player stopped working, I was in a rush and didn't even pay attention..I decided to buy a completely new cd player (much better one anyway), but I can't get any power to my new cd player at all..I don't know what happened but all the wires are matched up correctly so it should be working..I'm assuming that I must have blown a fuse somewhere when I was installing my old cd player.

When I was installing my new one that I just bought a few days ago, I got some splice connectors instead of electrical tape for the installation, but I can't get the cd player to turn on at all..does anyone know a solution to my problem? Thanks.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
check your fuses in the kick panel on the drivers side, fuse is mostlikely blown if you touched 2 wires togeather

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
dont use butt connectors if you can help it. solder with heat shrink tubing. i work at a car audio shop and have seen butt connectors not hold. you might think they are in but will slide out. if you blew any fuse it would be your "radio" one. very rarely do you blow the fuse in the headunit itself.

·
Supra Hoarder...
958 Posts
I blew a fuse in the engine bay when I accidentally touched two wires in my stereo harness..

forgot which one it was, but it's a 15 amp..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump...

It ended up being the fuse under the hood for the radio, I went out and replaced all 5 of the "15" fuses..the new cd player I got is installed correctly, but now I ran into another problem..all it does is take and eject CD's..so I know at least some power is getting to the cd player, but it won't actually play music and no lights show up on the front panel..I don't know what the problem is, and some guy at cp electronics wants to charge $65/hour just to look at the damn thing lol.

Any idea what the problem could be and how to alleviate it? I'm one step closer to finally driving with tunes in the car.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
did you use a harness? or is it a hack job? and what kind of cd is it? real or burned. so cd players have a hard time playing certain brands of burned cd's. as far as no visuals telling you its on, it sounds like its just not wired right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did you use a harness? or is it a hack job? and what kind of cd is it? real or burned. so cd players have a hard time playing certain brands of burned cd's. as far as no visuals telling you its on, it sounds like its just not wired right.
I used a harness. I also used different CD's, both regular and burned. Everything is wired correctly, the colors all match with each other..the only difference I noticed about these wires compared to my last cd players wires is that the black ground wire has to be grounded to an electrical part of the car with a screw, while the old black ground wire was bare at the end and could connect to the cars wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
grounded to an electrical part with a screw? no, if your going to ground with a screw instead of back into the harness, just find bare metal(or painted just ruff up the paint), and screw it down there. best places are actually body/firewall, the metal pieces around the cd player dont directly connect to the body, so its not the best ground. or you can just ground back into the harness. aftermarket stereos have a ground, the harness has a ground, just stick em together, now you dont have to worry about finding a good ground spot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
grounded to an electrical part with a screw? no, if your going to ground with a screw instead of back into the harness, just find bare metal(or painted just ruff up the paint), and screw it down there. best places are actually body/firewall, the metal pieces around the cd player dont directly connect to the body, so its not the best ground. or you can just ground back into the harness. aftermarket stereos have a ground, the harness has a ground, just stick em together, now you dont have to worry about finding a good ground spot.
My mistake, I meant metal*, not electrical. I was using the bare metal inside the area where the cd player goes..could I cut off the end of the black ground wire that has the metal round tip and connect it to the other ground in the cars wire harness?..I don't want to void any warranty by altering the wires that came with the new cd player I bought.

Do you think doing this would solve my issue?..or could this perhaps be related to something else? (The interior lights of my car aren't coming on for some reason, neither are my tail-lights, I just noticed it today when I had my car in park and didn't see anything light up from the back of my car.)..I must have really f**ked something up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump..

Could a bad dimmer switch have anything to do with the cd player not getting enough power? I'm the last person to go to when it comes to wiring...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bump again...

Well I called Sony support and they told me how to resolve the issue with my cd player, I just had to hook up the red wire from my cd player wiring harness to the yellow wires..but I still have a problem with my interior/dashboard and tail lights..they won't come on at all =( how do I go about fixing that problem?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
hmmmm, and wiring like this usually wont keep your settings(bass, treble, stations)... unless sony does for some strange reason? the lights could be fuses...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts