Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the scenario:

Right now I'm running Nitto NT555 18's on my car all around. 245/40 up front, and 275/35 in rear. My tires are almost bald now and it is time to replace them. Also the rainy season is starting to approach here so I NEED new tires. However, I'm running on a low budget, and most good tires in 18 are expensive. The Kuhmo tires are really cheap, however I've heard stories about how they suck and really don't have grip. Anyway, what tires would you recommend for daily driving including the rain in 18 inch that are a good reasonable price?

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Personally, the Kumhos are great for the money. Try posting this in "tech" and ask Steve Jarvis...

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i love dunlops there great in the rain did 160 mph wheni had my porsche 928s4 with out a problem !

if your on a budget sumitomos are really really good!

·
Mmmmmmmm, you look tasty.
13 Posts
I agree about the Dunlops. I have SP9000's on my car and they have done great.

H

·
0 Posts
Well, try Michellin Pilot A/S. It's little bit more then some other brands. But, it's well worth it. I love my set. :D BTW, A/S is for all season. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Yokohama AVSdb Vs Pilot Sport AS

Go to tire rack.com Look at tests & surveys. I was interested in Michelin Pilot sports, but look at test results for Yokohama's which are 100 bucks ea cheaper!

·
3,148 Posts
Go with the Kumhos, you won't regret it. You won't find a better all around tire for less than $200 ea.

Later, Steve

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
sumitomos are really really good and aboutthe same price of the kumos and less road noise mabe!

V

·
0 Posts
For the $$$, Falken 451

I've had the Kumhos (they wear great, so-so in the dry, great wet), Dunlop SP9000 (over rated, expensive junk), Nitto (out of it's league), BFG KD (the best performance tire made in the world right now & super expensive), and Sumitomo HTRz (good tire, good price).

The BFGs are the fastest on the track. They feel like a Dot R race tire! They wear well too.

BUT...dollar for dollar, the Falken GRb 451 has been the best balance of cost and performance. They cost the same as Kumho, but they KILL my Kumhos. I absolutely love this tire. It is even better than the previous generation GRb.

Give 'em a try!

V

·
0 Posts
Follow Up on Dunlop 9000

Just so you guys know, the Sumitomo and Falken both out gripped the Dunlop 9000s on my G-tech meter on the skidpad at Buttonwillow and were consistently faster than the 9000's at Button Willow, Willow Springs, and Streets. The 9000s were not as good on the brakes either. Both the Sumitomo and Falken break traction nicer than the Kumhos . But, I still like Kumhos on mild-performance cars because they last forever. My 9000s didn't last for crap. My first choice (cost no object) is BFG K/D. Second choice is a very close second.... Falken 451GRB, because of the performance/cost ratio.

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,039 Posts
I love the Bridgestone S03's

I think the so3 pole positions are by far superior, the s02 had less road wander but it is only searching for the best available traction. Also the water traction is good too.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Vande,
That is food for thought. I have been running Kuhmos in that I only get about 12 to 14 weeks max out of the rears due to me having the car as a daily driver and doing Solo 2 and track events. While your g-tech meter has some good evidence for the Falken (I may try a set) unless you did all of those tires on the same day, it would be hard for the data to be truly valid. Grip level on the pavement that day and particularly track surface temp would be big factors in the tires performance. I would hate to compare a tire to the hot as hell track event I did in August (tires got "greasy" as two hot laps) as opposed to the track event at the same track in October (good track temps and the tires did not go off until several laps later and not as bad).
Barry H.

V

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the reply

No need for concern.... the Falkens absolutely blow away the Kumhos in the area of performance. The Kumhos can't even come close. The difference is big. The Falken just kills it on turn in, grip, and the way it breaks loose in a more linear fashion. It also suffers less tread squirm. You drive, and you immediately feel the difference... then the electronics tell you it is true. Furthermore, it is the same price and seems to wear just as well the Kumho. On the track the Falkens chunk less than the Kumho if neither is shaved. On the street, the Falkens are a tiny bit noisier than the Kumhos.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well as soon as I wear out my Kuhmos (it won't take long), I am going to give it a try. Wished they made those new Azenis or whatever they are in a "Supra size". Thanks.
Barry H.

·
966 Posts
I have Toyo Proxes T1-Ss on my car, 245/40/17 front and 265/40/17 rear. I think they are a great intermediate tire as far as price goes. They are not as inexpensive as the Kumhos, nor as expensive as the higher end tires (S-03s, BFG KDs, P-Zeros, etc etc). I paid $160 for the fronts and $170 for the rears from a local retailer.

They perform really well in the rain and excellent dry. If I remember correctly, the Speedvision Touring Cars run on shaved T1-Ss. I haven't tracked my car on these tires yet, but I will be at VIR in February, so you can check back with me then. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Call HSK73 Pilot Sport AS

Do you have 18's? If so what size 245-40,etc do you run on front? 275-35's on rear? Steve's fitment guide says 245-40's will rub top of fender well in front? Does yours? How about road/tire noise. My racing Hart m5's are on the way, so I really could use your help! Thanks!

H

·
0 Posts
No. No problem with 245/40 front. :D I'm even running 285/35 on rear, no problem with that either. :D
I like my new tires. It's as noisy as my last tires, Yokohama AVS Sport. But, performs much better. I got to test it last week when rained here in LA. I'm not going back to AVS Sport, it's really bad on wet surface.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks hsk73 one final point

Also, sent you private email,but with your response here, ignore the other one. Your sig pic looks like 18's,but wanted to be sure? Can you tell me width & offset of your front wheels? Maybe Steve's guide says it will rub based on 39 offset with high pad? Glad you like tires. No rubbing front or rear during hard cornering, road dips,bumps or railroad crossings? Again will appreciate your reply! Thanks!

H

·
0 Posts
18X9 front and 18X10 rear. I would've gone wider if Blitz made one. :)
I think my offsets's 45. But, I have to check.
I was worried about rubbing like you. So, I tried everything.....no rub. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks again hsk73

Are both your front & rear offsets 45? If so, might explain why Steve's chart shows 39 will rub. Really appreciate your responding. thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts