Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Hey everyone heres my situation. Right now i own a 2000 yukon denali and where i live gas prices suck ass so lotsa $$$ Now for the longest time ive been saving up for a supra because im in love with them and my dad used to own a 94 tt and the first time he let me drove it i nearly shit myself. Anyways i just got a new job that requires me to drive about 25-30 mins on the highway 5 days a week now since the tt is turbo im thinkin gas is gonna be just as bad as the SUV if not worse? is that right? and my original plan was just to get an N/A and in a couple years when im done this apprenticeship program and wont need to go downtown anymore Im going to do a 2jzgte swap. But then i heard the n/a supra isnt neccessarly the same as the tt. Like does the tt have some kinda lsd and bigger breaks and other things that i dont know about? I need some advice of previous owners. If the gas problem isnt bad then im definetly thinking tt. But this is also my first car so n/a sounds good to. 200hp is enough for me trust me.Also from reading shit in the n/a section about the tt swap and how expensive it can be and all the parts and trying to find certain ones it kinda drives me away, and makes me just want to buy a tt from the start but i mean i cant afford one with low mileage its gonna be at least 100-150k so when i need to rebuild is that gonna cost alot and will it run bradn new? Im not sure what to do.....

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
The NA's gearing isn't ideal for the highway (5th gear @ near 3,000 at 60mph with a 4.273 rear end a 4.083 rear end your still at about 2,800 RPMS). You might want to look at a TT and staying out of boost if you want somewhat better gas mileage.

My rebuilt NA motor with a 4.083 rear end averages about 20 MPG mixed driving. If I'm lucky maybe 22-24 MPG all highway (if I stop wasting gas at idle testing it).

I guess the real question, is what MPG is accetable to you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok that makes sense. But what do you mean exactly by getting a tt but staying out of boost? and as for the mpg im not really sure im in canada its kms here but id say closer to 30mpg? Do you know off the top of your head what the highway fuel consumtion is for a tt supra? also city? or should i just look it up. and thanks for that info on the gearing i needed to know that.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
anthony94tt said:
Oh ok that makes sense. But what do you mean exactly by getting a tt but staying out of boost? and as for the mpg im not really sure im in canada its kms here but id say closer to 30mpg? Do you know off the top of your head what the highway fuel consumtion is for a tt supra? also city? or should i just look it up. and thanks for that info on the gearing i needed to know that.
Don't drive like a maniac and you'll save gas with a TT. However, if you begin modifying the TT, you'll be defeating your purpose of getting a better gas milage car. TT's have roughly the same gas milage as an NA, but I like the gearing setup for the highway on the TT's (6-Speed).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont plan on driving like a maniac at all need to save as much money as possible. plus i wil probably be in alotta of traffic? its a sketchy situation. Ok lets get back to the whole n/a swap to tt in a few years should i just straight up get the tt then if gas is roughly the same and all that. that was my main concern the gas mileage. i just thought cause it was turbo that it would be more. but i mean the turbos spool at a certain rpm right? like when you said "stay out of boost" like when would it kick in? and i mean if i got a boost controller I could fuck with that to but if its set really low could that cause some sort of problem? thanks flz boy

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
anthony94tt said:
I dont plan on driving like a maniac at all need to save as much money as possible. plus i wil probably be in alotta of traffic? its a sketchy situation. Ok lets get back to the whole n/a swap to tt in a few years should i just straight up get the tt then if gas is roughly the same and all that. that was my main concern the gas mileage. i just thought cause it was turbo that it would be more. but i mean the turbos spool at a certain rpm right? like when you said "stay out of boost" like when would it kick in? and i mean if i got a boost controller I could fuck with that to but if its set really low could that cause some sort of problem? thanks flz boy
Unfortunately, I don't work with TT Supras (I work primarily with the NA models), so I don't have all the statistical data to answer every question about the TT. In general, the more throttle input you plant to the floor, you can expect the turbo's to also to start laying down the boost and more fuel is being dumped.

If your going to eventually go to the turbo route and you have the money to maintain a stock TT (6-Speed) for a few years, then I would go that route.

If you don't care the authenticity of weather a Supra must be a TT or NA. Then just buy a NA and turbo it (if your goals are bellow 500 RWHP). Any higher HP goals than I would start thinking of a TT 6-Speed or built auto transmission.

If your dead broke all the time, you wouldn't be able to stick in a turbo in an NA or maintain a BPU TT to keep them running in top condition. You have to realize your finances and be realistic. This car isn't cheap to maintain (even for an NA it can be a headache). They are reliable if you spend the money to keep them running (if not like any other car).

·
BPU is so 1997
5,354 Posts
If you are trying to save money, you are looking at the wrong car. A Supra will cost you just as much as your Denali. I would get a 2006 Civic to remain economical.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well my hp goal is low anyways i only want a nice handling supra with around 400 hp 500 being the absolute max. And i know theres kits out there that can do that with the n/a supra as well as some tuning. So maybe i should just go for the n/a because i dont plan on making it a monster i just wanna do suspension some nice volk gtu's and then in a couple years i could just turbo the n/a. so does that give u a better understanding about what i want out of the car. so non turbo sounds good eh right? then future na-t?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
because the truck i drive now is fuckin rediculus on gas and i heard the supra turbo is just as bad..but now i learn its not but it all depends on where and how i drive it. obviously. I do care I need to know then is the n/a supra a gas guzzler...does it compare to a full size suv if anyone here owns both? or used to own one?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
turbo-joe said:
apparently you dont give a shit about gas prices. why did you bring it up in the first place

o_O Turbo-Joe?:confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
both na's and tt's need premium gas. but both will get better gas mileage than a denali. my roommate owns a lexus is and i own a tt. and when we compare miles per gallon he gets about 3 mpg's more than i do on average. i know this is a rough estimate and there are many factors pertaining to mpgs, so please do not take this as concrete data. i would say you should get a tt if thats what you really want, cause to do the swap is not easy. plus you might save money and time if you get a tt instead of a na in the first place. a great site to get technical data would be mkiv.com. hope this helps. good luck.

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
Hua said:
You are going from one gas guzzler to another.
:stupid:

You should get a Civic DX or something if you really care about gas prices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts