Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here it goes I sold my 88 n/a For 5,800 Canadian and I am located in Saskatchewan Canada. So i have been looking for a turbo supra and well there has been any at all I did happen to stumble apon this one and need some questions answered and some advice from my fellow supra owners. Ok here is the specs of the car its an 89 turbo with 5 speed and a targa top and its a white package. Comes with keyless entry and a 3 inch muffler. The body is in great shape paint is still great excpet for a tiny patch of surface rust on the back end about 2.5cmX2.5cm. The interior is in excellent shape as well. The guy is selling it for 2,500 Canadian one catch though.........ROD knocks.He says some bearing in the crankshaft is gone so it knocks. So Basiclly how much (in Canadian) would I be looking at for a rebuild??? I would get it done by a shop AND PLZ DON'T TELL ME TO DO IT MYSLEF. Also the car has 240,000km on it. I have 6,500 hundered to spend on a turbo supra so 2,500-6,500 gives me 4,000 for a rebuild. SO plz give me some advice and help me answer these questions also here are some pics of the car:

http://img143.echo.cx/my.php?image=thansupra31wf.png
http://img83.echo.cx/my.php?image=thansupra19qm.png
http://img236.echo.cx/my.php?image=thansupra2su.png
http://img168.echo.cx/my.php?image=than225ki.png

thnx for the info or advice it is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
thats plenty of money to rebuild the engine and you will have some left over to mod it.

or buy jdm engine do headgasket and you should have 2500 to spend on other stuff

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I just rebuilt an engine for ~ $1700 american. Sounds like a decent deal.

~scott

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I agree, if you're going to rebuild the engine, you don't really need to look at anything besides the body and interior :dunno:

The engine doesn't even matter since you're going to have so much left for a rebuild, just make sure everything on the inside and outside is just like you want! Great find, keep us updated! :hug:

·
Registered
583 Posts
i would go the jdm route and use the engine with rod knock as a spare, fix it on the side of course. With the 7M's its always good to have a backplan and alottttt of maintence.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
when i lived in vancouver i had a full engine swap done, tranny and engine installed in a day for 2000 taxes in. you should have plenty of money to do any necessary repairs on the car and then some left over to mod. also just incase anyone doesnt know. 240,000 km is less then 160,000 miles so. go for it id say :)

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
thats a great buy....keep us posted

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
For 4k you could probobly get a jdm 1uz put in it also. (nudge, nudge)

But seriously, it sounds like a good find. Good luck it!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yea definately drop in a new motor, or rebuild it ( probably better if you did a FULL rebuild) and then take care of all the rust. rust will come back and bite u in the ass if u dont take care of it now.

·
Duc
114 Posts
:hitit: do it do it :stickpoke. Sounds like a good find, and i agree with the others you should have plenty of cash to build it up to be an awesome mk3. **** luck, hope you get her.

·
Vietnamese Supra Owner
615 Posts
yo dog that car is mint yo, i wish i had that kind of cash flow i'd definitly pick up another supra as a project car

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
I would buy it and do a rebuild , i belive that 5,800 in cnd is ike 4,500 usd and 2,500 cnd is like 1,300 so u should have like 3,000 usd to rebuild.

G

·
Im happy your converting numbers for me everyone cause i dont like to think about to much stuff thats not mine so it makes it simple. But yeah i would get a JDM and just rebuild on the side if you have spare money rollen around...

·
Registered
542 Posts
2500 cnd = $2000 USD
4000 cnd = $3200 USD

Yea man def a good find for the money, and I know $3.2k in America is more then enough to get a rebuild done :). If I were you I would spend the extra cash and put forged pistons and rods in there just for the safety of knowing thats one less thing that can go out :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would just have to add to all of the others. Go for the JDM engine, change the studs and headgasket, you then have a builder in the garage if you wish to read a engine building how to book in the future. Good luck

·
Registered
927 Posts
Even rebuilds are cheap. You can get a rebuild done for 1500 CAD or less incl. mhg & arp's if you know the right people
Someone mentioned they paid 2k labor for a swap..But most jdm shops will charge you 400-500 cad for doing a swap - Might be different out there in SK though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts