Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased a 93 gte 6spd from texas. previous owner seemed a bit clueless on mods and issues. not sure if hes playing dumb or maybe paid other people to do work on the car. got the car for a pretty good price but reflects on some of the body issues and minor mechanical issues. car smells like gas on the inside a bit. not sure where its coming from. but the real issue at hand is the photo linked in the post. drove the car from texas to chicago with no issues. apparently boosting at 10 psi from the boost gauge installed in the vent. i had alittle fun with the car for a couple weekends and then one friday night the car started boosting to 13psi. alittle bit of stall in high rpm. drove home and took it to a lift at a buddy's shop the next day. i found what seems to be a lever connected to an exhaust port? and what looks like a wastegate. the lever held open by a metal wire. is this normal? also i sorta reinstalled the lever and now the car makes a strange buzzing sound and problem still persists. any help appreciated. FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes this is the waste gate mod. If you search waste gate mod there are a few threads that explain both installation and effects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issue with the smell of fuel probably running on the rich side. I haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
^ correct about the TTC mod. The wastegate mod isn't a wire, it's a spring to help the wg actuator keep the wg closed tighter especially at higher boost than stock.

That strange buzzing sound that came back when you took the wire off could be because the EGCV valve wasn't working properly and that's why the previous owner wired it open.

One of the best places to read up on how the sequential system works and all it's components is at Stu Hagen's site: http://www.97supraturbo.com/index.html

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
The last two posters are correct. It is the EGCV (exhaust gas control valve). It is NOT the wastegate. It is used in the sequential operation. The problem is you can't just revert that one valve back. You have to either fix ALL the valves back to the sequential operation or keep ALL the valves in TTC.

Since you are new, Ill give you cliff notes:
Sequential system: Front turbo is working all the time and then around 4k RPMs the second turbo also comes online so you are using both. This allows for very quick spool
TTC (True Twin Conversion)= Both turbos working at the same time which provides a nice smooth linear powerband, but at the expense of lots of lag.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The gas smell, I have to ask about that, I have the same thing, is that just how these cars are with no cabin air filter and no cats? Does it suggest that the car is running rich? Car runs perfect just figured I would ask about it as well. Stock twins, newly rebuilt motor, no afr gauge to tell if rich

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts

·
Where to now?
814 Posts
The car boosting more could easily be due to ambient air temps being lower at night. If the car has an exhaust, FMIC, and intake, 13 psi is nothing unheard of.

If there is a gas smell, I would check the charcoal canister. There are procedures for blowing it out with an air compressor. Many people remove them and just leave the line open which will stink up your garage in a hot minute. I relocated mine to the rear of the car behind the bumper by the fuel tank. The lines can get very brittle up in the engine bay too, so it's possible they are leaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts