Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 93 TT auto for sale with 91k on it and was wondering if I should be worried about the trans at this point. Of course the owner says it has been taken care of very well (all check ups), him being a Sr. Engineer? He is selling it for 22,000 and if I decide to go BPU from it being stock should I approch with caution?

Thanks!

G

·
supra2wntrbo said:
I found a 93 TT auto for sale with 91k on it and was wondering if I should be worried about the trans at this point. Of course the owner says it has been taken care of very well (all check ups), him being a Sr. Engineer? He is selling it for 22,000 and if I decide to go BPU from it being stock should I approch with caution?

Thanks!
the trans should be just fine as long as it has been serviced periodically. as far as going BPU, shouldn't be a big deal. it all depends on maintenance. but that can be related to any car nonetheless.

G

·
supra2wntrbo said:
Alright sounds good, as far as I know the owner says all regular maintenance was done.
i would get a list of things that have been replaced. and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Curious why you are questioning just the transmission. Are you that sure that all other aspects are as the should be except that one? Otherwise, what about stem seals, head gasket, starter, water pump, timing belt, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, etc.
And, "check-ups", as done at the dealer, are a waste of money. If he truly is an engineer (I mean a mechanical engineer and not a software geek), he would have done the work himself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean about maintenance and everything, but I will be checking the car out today and will look for smoking on start up etc. This is a good deal of money snd will not be suckered for it, but thanks guys

·
Registered
560 Posts
On your test drive. Make sure it shifts right. Keep accel then stopping the accel then stopping, etc. Make sure there aren't bad shifts. Do both 50% throttle and WOT cause it might show its bad onein either and not the other.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would be more concerned with the turbos than the trans. Unless you are planning on going single when they die. It would be really convienient if it had a boost gauge to help keep an eye out for anyting weird. Do the standard 50% and WOT test; at WOT the tranny should shift pretty hard and fast a few hundred rpm's before redline.

Also, jack it up and check for any play in the wheels (up/down/foreward/backward). Wheel bearings tend to go out, if they have been bad for a decent amount of time the hub may be shot. This isnt something to forget about the car over, but might be worth a $500-800 price deduction.

If you can, go by a shop and get a compression test. Aside from the normal stuff thats about it. Be very careful to listen to any rattles/squeaks from the engine bay. A squeak from the doors when going over bumps is normal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I test drove it and Twisted I just want to say that the turbos might have been screwy. Although I had 4 people in the car to see for smoke and anything that I might miss while driving. When I laid into it the down low power kinda felt weak but then up top at about 40 m.p.h. I got a kick at about 2nd to 3rd gear.

The weather was at about the mid 80's with 4 people (650 lbs total) and a full tank of gas should this have been normal for these conditions. Aside from that the car was in really good condition, paint (anthacite matalic), tranns shifted the way you said TWISDED (hard at almost redline).

This was an older gentleman and the engine bay could have been cleaner but not a big deal. He was asking $22,000 but he said he would take $20,000. should I buy this car or is it going to be a project.

Here is the car, I love this color hers's the cars link http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...1998&start_year=1993&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=11

·
Hayabusa Killer
722 Posts
Your brave posting the autotrader link. I think $20K is nice for that car, especailly being and older man owning it. I bet he would take $18500 to keep from dealing with all the calls and people wanting to see the car. If that car was not beat on it sould be fine.

·
Hayabusa Killer
722 Posts
supra2wntrbo said:
Oh sorry about the link I didn't know that, I couldn't get pics up so I posted the link thanks for the help :)

It would suck for somebody to swoop it up. I think its a nice car, and I love anthracite. Good luck on you Supra hunt.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
I bought a '95tt auto with 130k miles for $18,500 so the price looks good if you pick it up for 20k. Mine smokes at start up but tranny is still perfect with just under 140k now. Does he have any maintenace records? I wanted a 6-speed but 5k was alot more to spend. I havn't had any issues with mine yet except I need tires and an alignment. John

·
Registered
802 Posts
I called this guy up... I wanted to fly out there and check it out..
I ran a carfax on the car.. 5 owners.. he told me he owned it since50k miles.. but according to the carfax, he had it since 70k miles... He also told me someone offered 20k... but he refused.. so who knows...

I called him today also... I guess you were the guy he was showing the car too... did you run any compression tests btw?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts