Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesturday I was cleaning out my engine bay with a squirtbottle and rag (Cold engine). I let the car sit for about 4 hours after doing it to make sure everything was dried out... well later that night i took the car out and it was running like shit.. felt like it was loosing power and stutterring... now its totally stuttering at idle and the whole car shakes.. i tried resetting the ECU and I checked the distributor for any moisture and its fine.....

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
did you check for any loose hoses/wires?

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. nothing... something got wet.. needs to be dried.. but i dont know what..

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try that.. another thing I noticed is it smells like its running rich... and sounds like its not firing right.. Ill go check the plugs.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn.. no luck there.. car still sounds like its misfiring.. sound normal when you first turn it on.. then it drops to like 1200 rpm and sounds like shit.... hole car shakes and sounds like its not firing right.

·
no search=pejorative
527 Posts
"felt like it was loosing power and stutterring... " Sounds like the symptoms I had when I cleaned my engine bay. I started it up, and when I tried hitting second gear it would sorta jolt...and there would STILL be a loss of power until the car hit around 65, then it would be fine... When the car was in park the car sorta rumbled and exhaust sorta puFFed out the smoke. The first time this happened I thought I was tramatized and passed out...wait wait...turned out it was all the fumes coming from the car. I could also hella smell the gas. Well, what I did was change my distributor, cap and rotor, spark plugs, and the car worked fine again. As the whole n/a community knows...its a bizbitch changing those two of six spark plugs, but it was worth it. Hope this helped, cuss I tried getting it diagnosed at the Toyota Dealer and since they "couldn't" find an answer to my problem they wanted to charge me 700 bucks to do a compression test and later crack the whole thing open. Those bastards! I showed them. A simple tune-up is what every supra needs...

·
no search=pejorative
527 Posts
0h. One last thing...also changed the spark plug wires...but this wasnt really necessary, I know..i just like the blue color scheme on it now. :D When all this happened my car had already hit its 100k mark. Right now its at 107 thousand miles, and its running like a beast!

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow.. Thanks... sounds exactly like whats happening.. im about to that stage.. no luck with just drying... gonna change all the plugs... I dont think its nessicary to change the distributor and wires though.

Oh yeah.. and I just rolled 105.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, its not that.... wellchanged all the plugs.. seems to be running normal except at idle.. maybe ECU resetting will fix...

·
Registered
225 Posts
i cleaned my engine a couple months back and had the same problem. just keep driving it and it will go away after a day or two, trust me. i really doubt you damaged anything, i thought for sure i did, especially because it seemed like it got worse as time went on, but after a few days it just cleared up. give it a while before you dump that much money into it.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Actaully.. I see what you mean.. your advice would of been so great about 20 minute ago.. lol.. well heres what happend.. after changing the plugs and resetting the ECU... it still didnt seem 100%.... so I figured id drive it around for about 45 minute and see how it wentl... well at first it kidn of made the blurping sound at idle every couple seconds and it slowly seems to have gone away... still not completely gone but its not noticable anymore... Thanks for the help everyone... seems I got it fixed.

Another note.. anyone who has this same problems.. make sure you q-tip around the plugs to remove all the gunk and water so that when you take the plugs out it doesnt go down into the cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts