Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 94 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo with 102000 miles. I have done some basic performance upgrades to my car such as a boost cut controller, a blow off valve, a performance exhaust system by greddy, a performance downpipe, and a larger front mount intercooler.

After the upgrade, I have noticed that the engine oil is leaking. Whenever I drive the car hard, it emits white smokes right after the #2 turbo had spooled. I have to add about a quart of oil every once a week. Recently, I have done a compression test along with the leak down test at a local mechanic shop in Lexington, KY.

And the compression numbers were

1 = 185 psi 2 = 183 psi 3 = 187 psi 4 = 190 psi
5 = 187 psi 6 = 180 psi

The leak down test:

1 = 3% 2 = 13 % 3 = 3 % 4 = 1 %
5 = 2 % 6 = 3 %

The mechanic believed that the oil seemed to be leaking past bearing in #2 turbo, and he recommended me for turbos repair or replacement. It would be great if you could give your comments about the compression and leak down test results. How can you tell, by looking at this test, if the oil is really leaking from the turbos not from worn out piston rings. Would it be worth it to upgrade to single rather than replacing the stock twins

Thanks You
Ed

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ed,
Though i can't comment on your leakdown test but your compression #'s looks fine. As far as the white smoke and adding the oil goes yes it could be your #2 turbo :( why don't you talk to Steven Jessie he owns a performance shop on South Broadway and ???? ( Behind South broadway auto collision body shop) and is a great guy and very very knowlegble with Supras.If you need his # let me know.Oh btw try reposting this question to the tech section.
Later, Yasir (412 RWHP/424 ft/lbs torque :D :D )

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That leakdown number for the #2 cylinder is way out of line compared to the others. Did you make any attempts to find out where it's leaking from? Is this number just a typo?

The fact that the car is blowing smoke as the #2 turbo spools make me think that your turbos are planning on taking an early retirement. If you want to just put on another set of stockers then look me up, I happen to have a set with ~70K on my garage floor right now

Rob_O

·
Registered
410 Posts
Compression numbers are fine. The leakdown %'s are a bit suspect. 13% is a bit high, but the rest of the numbers are way low. 1% leakdown on a 100k+ motor? Hmmmm. 5-7% past the rings is considered very good. Total Seal doesn't even claim 1%.
I wouldn't be concerned about it. If you are really curious you can pour a teaspoon of oil into #2. If the percentage drops drastically its going by your rings. If it doesn't effect it more than 2-3% its probably a valve issue. Either way it doesn't warrant any action on your part.

I agree with everyone's assessment of the #2 turbo being the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts