Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hit the rev limiter in second gear and the revs bounced a couple of times, damn 18 wheeler, before i pressed the clutch in. i thought that there was nothing wrong because this has happened before. but after awhile of driving i noticed that there was an extra "whistle" coming from the engine bay, i thought it might be the header, stock ones, beacuse they've cracked on me before. but as i checked the motor, while it was running, the noise was coming from the intake manifold side. i found some liquid in that area , but it seemed that it was from the valve cover gasket.
i remebered reading in a thread awhile back where some else did this and some one said to check the coolant. i found oil in there, doesn't this mean a blown head gasket? if it does how much do they run for? :confused: would this also mean that i should flush the coolant at the same time?

TIA for your input and help.
KEVIN

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ouch...

U have money right?

Sounds like head gasket..and I just hope nothing else is warped/cracked

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Uh oh if you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil then that most likely means you blew the HG :( . I did a similar thing racing Auto X last year and I blew mine out attempting to drift turns that are WAY too tight to be trying to drift. A new HG from Jeff Watson or Curt Aigner will probably run you in the area of ~120 the labor if you dont do it yourself is going to be pretty damn expensive probably 500+ atleast. Does the car feel sluggish or overheat from when this happened?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually the car does seem a little sluggish but the car hasn't over heated. but i also added some water wetter a couple of weeks ago... i heard this could cause weird stuff to happen with dirty coolant, am i wrong? damn 500 + for labor.... i'm screwed.

thanks for the fast reply

·
Registered
627 Posts
We got a deal on the 4runner ... $700....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$700 to replace head gasket on a 4runner?

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
sxcsupra said:
actually the car does seem a little sluggish but the car hasn't over heated. but i also added some water wetter a couple of weeks ago... i heard this could cause weird stuff to happen with dirty coolant, am i wrong? damn 500 + for labor.... i'm screwed.

thanks for the fast reply
Water Wetter in theory is supposed to increase the cooling properties of the water. Whether or not it actually does I am not sure. However when my HG blew my car would begin to overheat after just a little bit of driving. Although this was a few days after I blew it. The day I first started having problems with it, it was fine. But a few days later it would overheat REALLY easily. But the symptoms you are describing sounds like a bad headgasket. Do you have a compression or idealy a leakdown tester or access to one?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No i don't have access to either one of those, can they be rented at pepboys or something? well i haven't taken the car for a drive since it happened yesterday. is changing the head gasket that hard, what tools would i need to do this? ie socket wrench, and torque wrench, ect. would you recomend getting a certain manual?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does any one know why there could be a whistle sound coming from the drivers side?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump.. i really need your guy's input

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
sxcsupra said:
No i don't have access to either one of those, can they be rented at pepboys or something? well i haven't taken the car for a drive since it happened yesterday. is changing the head gasket that hard, what tools would i need to do this? ie socket wrench, and torque wrench, ect. would you recomend getting a certain manual?
Changing a headgasket is pretty advanced and you would need some new tools. A torque wrench and of course a ratchet and some sockets would be in order. You will also need a special socket to get the headbolts off. While you have the head off you might as well replace the factory headbolts with ARP Headstuds. I would highly recommend the factory manuals from Toyota. I would talk to Jeff Watson or Curt Aigner about getting you a deal on these.

I am unclear on what the whistling sound you are speaking of could be. Maybe be a little more specific. On the compression tester and leak-down tester thing. A Compression tester you can buy they only run around 20 bucks or so and the leak down tester you can try to rent but they would run around 100+ and I dont know that any of those places rent that kinda thing out.

Hope this helps you out and Good Luck,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts