Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Is 4.7L. V8 Tundra pickup truck good enough to tow SUPRA with trailer and not pushing it. On the hitch says 5000bls max. Any help would be great Thanks guys.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Supra is ~3500lbs, as long as your trailer is ~1500 you will be fine. I would look into Nissan Titan tho, larger towing capacity....but if you are Toyota guy it will work with V8 Tundra.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I rather drive a tundra unless i buy a skyline. lol. How much weight are most of the car trailer?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
well which tundra do you have? Ours with the tow package is rated to 7200lbs i believe. So you may be only limited to your hitch's weight limit and not the truck itself.

Alex

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alx2785 said:
well which tundra do you have? Ours with the tow package is rated to 7200lbs i believe. So you may be only limited to your hitch's weight limit and not the truck itself.

Alex
Maybe you are right. Im looking at 06 Tundra 4.7L. V8 pickup truck. This truck seem to tow alot more than that, its a big truck. What tundra do you have? Thanks

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Remember guys, towing capacity does NOT equal big engine.

Towing capacity is mostly determined by the braking ability of the truck. Even a small truck will tow a car, but coming to a stop is an entirely different problem.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
oh our truck is an 05 Tunrda Limted Double Cab 4x4 with the tow package (in my sig). I was lookin it up and the new tacomas have the same tow rating so this may be an option as well. ;)

Alex

·
Registered
980 Posts
My 2k4 4runner V8 4x4 did a great job of towing my Supra from houston to cape canaveral. It has the 4.7 as well but I don't know if the brakes are different.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
SICKTRD94SUPRA said:
Maybe you are right. Im looking at 06 Tundra 4.7L. V8 pickup truck. This truck seem to tow alot more than that, its a big truck. What tundra do you have? Thanks
WHen I googled this, the first link was Toyota and said tow capacity of that truck is 6800 lb - so yes it should be OK. Get a heavier-duty tow bar and ball though.

And as noted, braking is the key factor - and no, don't count on surge brakes if your tow capacity is too low.
Actually, you should have a decent margin of safety - a trailer getting away from you is an ugly sight.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I wanted to get a Tundra to tow my supra, but I didn't feel it was enough. The Toyota trucks are just not as heavy duty as the american 3/4 tons. I ended up going with a Ford powerstroke, and I love it. I towed the supra through the Sierra Nevada Mountains cruising at 90, no problems at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your comments guys. Im going to look into it more but i like tundra towing the supra cause they are in the family, rather than ford or chevy. I have nothing to against them. Does anyone use the tundra to tow their supra? If you do please post up,i want to get the right truck. Thanks guys

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have used my tundra to tow the supra a couple times always using uhaul trailer. It will tow it OK. It does sag down the back a bit and might not be the greatest if you have to tow up and down mountains, ( i have only been on flat roads) If i towed the supra a lot i would probably look into a bigger truck. Why not just wait till the new 2007 tundra comes out? It is a complete redesign suppose to have a 10,000 lb capacity and should be out just a few months from now, it is worth the wait IMO.

Link to some info on 2007 Tundra
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2006_chicago/0603_toyota_tundra/

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have an 01 Tundra Ltd. AC and it pulled the supra just fine on an open trailer. I didn't do a lot of steep incline / decline towing with it though. I just bought a 20" enclosed trailer and it is 103" wide. I towed it from the factory empty and it is just too much for the Tundra. So I just bought a dodge cummins mega cab to handle that. I am selling the Tundra but I will miss it - it's such a nice truck. I would have kept it but the overall size / drag of an enclosed trailer requires a beast to pull it. Especially since I'll probably be hauling it across the country to events. Good luck and pm me if you need a nice tundra :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yes, i like that 07 tundra. Im going to waite for this truck have to have one of these. Thanks so much guys.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
SICKTRD94SUPRA said:
Oh yes, i like that 07 tundra. Im going to waite for this truck have to have one of these. Thanks so much guys.
I too considered waiting because all I've ever owned is toyota. I hated the thought of buying a domestic. But you can't beat the cummins motor. Straight six, turbo on one side, intake on the other. It's the equivelant of the GTE in the truck world.

this may interest you if you consider getting a diesel:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g...-FordHookin.flv

1 - 20 of 65 Posts