Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a set of SF challenges used. There was some sort of oxidation on the front lips of the wheels. I tried traditional cleaners and they didnt work. Its almost as though theres a clear coat that is clouding up. Anyone know the most aggressive/safest cleaning i can use. Makes the rims look like poop! Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I could be wrong, so wait and see what others say. But to me that looks like the clear coat was overheated. If that's what happened, the only way I know to fix it is to strip it off and have it recoated with new clear coat. For example, it can happen if a "high temp" pressure washer is used to try to clean the wheel and if it's over the safe temp of the clear coat ...bye bye.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
i have the same problem with my racing harts.... well for over a year now...

no wheel polishes will work
no cleaners will work
pretty much anything that you can buy at an autozone (or your local auto parts store) will not work to get rid of that crap

its time to send the wheels out to a refinishing/fixing company

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
I had driven my car in the snow (long story) and salt, oxidation, and water spots had my wheels loking like shit. Turtle Wax metal polish got everything off of mine. Not sure what happened to yours but give it a try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also have the SF wheels and in Switzerland we have a lot of salt on the road in winter....my wheel washing tech is first normally wash your wheels with the same ''soap'' that your using for the body...allow it to dry...and then add some meguiars' Gold class rich leather spray and wipe with a really smooth towel....

Fast and perfect
;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Simple Green. they are availble at hardware store. dilute 50/50 spray on wheel and slightly rub with cloth and rinse. I used them on my Fikse Wheels and they are safe and 100% biodegrable.

·
[H][K][S] whore!
437 Posts
no matter what you throw at that lip, nothing willl remove oxidation.... other than stripping the clearcoat and repolishing and then recoat.

·
ΣΦE Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok....now on to the refinishing...will it get it looking BRAND NEW? also what are some good northeast shops?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
^^ same here, I think they will do a good job. They fixed a couple wheels on an old car I had with cast aluminum wheels and they looked and performed "like new". In fact, I'm taking my own wheels to wheel collision within the next couple weeks to have them taken apart, cleaned up, maybe powder coat the centers a gun metal or titanium tone, clear coat. They had a booth at the SEMA show in Ft. Washington a couple weeks ago and I talked to the guy there about it.

ballpark estimate ...yummy ball park franks! with mustard and relish.... I bet something around $200 each

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
97supertt said:
Simple Green. they are availble at hardware store. dilute 50/50 spray on wheel and slightly rub with cloth and rinse. I used them on my Fikse Wheels and they are safe and 100% biodegrable.

I tried Simple Green to get the spots off my wheels and then I tried the Turtle Wax and now the only spot on them is a line from where the Simple Green drained off the wheel. I stand by the turtle wax or at recommend you try it. Cheaper than refinishing if it works for you.

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Everytime i have a problem and think about asking you guys, someone already has a thread going. :)

Im gonna try the turtle wax and the simple green probably tomorrow and see how that goes. Only one of my rims is like this and its a perfect ring around the outside, but the inside is still perfectly shiny. Its really wierd.

Do you think that wheel collision place can also fix deep scratches?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
C5 4 NOW said:
I had driven my car in the snow (long story) and salt, oxidation, and water spots had my wheels loking like shit. Turtle Wax metal polish got everything off of mine. Not sure what happened to yours but give it a try.
C5- This has got to be the first time I've seen someone with a black car go with gunmetal rims! Hooray for you! Personally, I own white w/gunmetal SFs and I take shit from those with 040 over black rims.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
C5- This has got to be the first time I've seen someone with a black car go with gunmetal rims! Hooray for you! Personally, I own white w/gunmetal SFs and I take shit from those with 040 over black rims.
Thanks bro. I think Brad D has gunmetal on his car as well. I originally wanted to do Mercury Silver but I got a good deal on these. Do you have any pics of your car?

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
can anyone else justify that Simple Green & Turtle Wax wheel polish WILL remove oxidation???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts