Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum.
I have a 1988 MkIII supra NON-turbo and Auto. I was driving home and I was (like usual) pushing her hard, shifting around 5 almost 6. well I start pulling up my drive way and i smell the radiator fluid. So I was like oh i must have blew a hose. Well i pullin and open the hood. My worst fear! There was a huge flame coming out of my heat protector on my down pipe and fluid was running out of the back of the engine. I hurried and put out the flame with water. I checked the hoses that run from the engine to the raditor top and bottom and they didn't bust. I have no idea if the fluid is mabe coming out of a hose in the back or from the engine. The head gaskect didn't look blown to me but I was in a panic, but i didn't see oil in any of the fluid or fluid in the oil. Can some one help me if this has happened to you? Is there a seal in the engine that i might have blown or mabe just over heated or another hose in the back?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
first check why the Fire started, and make sure it wont happen Again!
second, check the heater hose by the firewall right behind the charcoal canister on the passenger side, and check the 90° hose at the back of the block.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
Thanks for the help. First off the fire was caused by the exhaust getting so hot that it caught a few pine neddles in the heat shield on fire (it had been sitting in a field for 5 years before i had the car). You were right on the heater hose. It had cracked were it meets the engine (couldn't see it at the time). So im replaceing both the heater hose and the 90 elbow hose. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts