Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched countless threads and some parts seem related, but others don't. So rather than revive an old thread that doesn't address everything my car is doing I figure I'll start a new one.

Basically the car keeps throwing the "TPS Closed" code (0510). It started last year and I suspected the old worn out clutch constantly slipping might be the cause. With the new clutch it stopped for several months. It has started throwing the code again however. Additionally the car idles a bit high (right around 1k rpm) and that pesky "seashell sound" is present sometimes making me think the EGR is having issues. One thread I found made it sound like the EGR and TPS can affect each other.

W/o paying a shop to run a full diagnosis... can I simply clean the TPS to make the condition go away? Does anyone have pics of a disassembled TPS? A new one is ~$80 which isn't bad, but I don't want to buy one if I don't need to.

As for the EGR... there are no obvious cracks in the hoses or anywhere else. Chris Johnson (Perf. Motorsports) inspected it and couldn't find anything wrong (the condition doesn't happen all the time and naturally wasn't doing it when I had a pro looking at and driving the car).

The car is a stock TT with the only mods being a Max Air box and coilovers (and the HPF Bronze clutch). It even still has the stock DP and exhaust (though not for long I hope). It has 72k+ miles and I do autoX it frequently, but the code has always been thrown while tooling around the street within the posted speed limits.

There are no gauges on the car so I have no idea what the boost or air/fuel ratio are.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kev

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
MKIV_Aspirant said:
Not familiar with that... I searched at MkIV.com but didn't find anything either.
Oh shit - I'm sorry -- I was thinking of the ISC check procedure.

I take it you don't have a TSRM? You might ask Curt Aigner if he knows of a check procedure for the TPS... I apologize for the confusion.

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick said:
Oh shit - I'm sorry -- I was thinking of the ISC check procedure.

I take it you don't have a TSRM? You might ask Curt Aigner if he knows of a check procedure for the TPS... I apologize for the confusion.
LOL! Feels like my first day in the military... I have no idea what any of those acronyms are (except for TPS of course). :D

Thanks.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
MKIV_Aspirant said:
LOL! Feels like my first day in the military... I have no idea what any of those acronyms are (except for TPS of course). :D
Oh! Here you go:

TPS: Throttle Position Sensor
ISC: Idle Speed Control
TSRM: Toyota Service and Repair Manual (also called the FSM: Factory Service Manual)

:)

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
980 Posts
You could have a bad TPS and it be reading low voltage (closed) when it's partially opened.

Look on some of the pages I posted in the FSM. It tells you how to bench check and troubleshoot it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts