Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I’m about ready to smash my head into the wall. Can anyone tell me if there is anyone who makes a different ratio ring and pinion for the 200mm diff. I recently took the diff out of my car to fix a leaky seal. When I bought the car I was told it was a full turbo conversion but I felt that the gears were very short. Now after removing the diff I know why, because I have the 200mm diff out of a tt auto car. My thought is to try and change the ring and pinion to a different ratio (if possible) to avoid having to change the diff to the 220mm setup.

I spent the last 3 hours searching for a ring and pinion setups for the supra and can only find barrings. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update
Looks like the ring and pinion from a LS400 can be swapped to the 200mm diff on the Supra. Can anyone confirm the fitment?

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the stickie threads posted in various subforums. All your questions can be answered here: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/jza80-differential-info.608545/ The thread starter is this board's foremost expert on JZA80 differentials and other Toyota differentials that are direct fits or adaptable to the JZA80 chassis. Good luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the stickie threads posted in various subforums. All your questions can be answered here: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/jza80-differential-info.608545/ The thread starter is this board's foremost expert on JZA80 differentials and other Toyota differentials that are direct fits or adaptable to the JZA80 chassis. Good luck.

Ken.
Thanks Ken but responses like yours are the reason why this forum is dead. If you had read that post through and through like I have before my OP it does not directly answer my question.

The question is does anyone make a different ratio gear for the 200mm diff. All the longer geared “big diffs” are 220mm and only the shorter gearing comes in the 200mm.

So back to the question, does the 3.266 gear from a Lexus fit the 200mm diff?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The 3.26 ratio from the 98-00 Lexus "should" fit, as indicated in the thread that Ken posted. Hopefully you can still buy the R&P from Toyota/Lexus. Otherwise, you will have to find a used complete unit from a Lexus.

While you're in there, definitely change the factory diff to a clutch type aftermarket diff. You likely have a 4.08 open diff. If you somehow have the 3.76 Auto TT diff, you will want to ditch the Torsen for an aftermarket diff. The Torsen is very dangerous on a turbo car (car kicks out to the side under boost at 55 MPH). With a clutch type diff, the car tracks straight under power.

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 3.26 ratio from the 98-00 Lexus "should" fit, as indicated in the thread that Ken posted. Hopefully you can still buy the R&P from Toyota/Lexus. Otherwise, you will have to find a used complete unit from a Lexus.

While you're in there, definitely change the factory diff to a clutch type aftermarket diff. You likely have a 4.08 open diff. If you somehow have the 3.76 Auto TT diff, you will want to ditch the Torsen for an aftermarket diff. The Torsen is very dangerous on a turbo car (car kicks out to the side under boost at 55 MPH). With a clutch type diff, the car tracks straight under power.

Al

Al thanks for the input. The car does have the LSD diff, and I can get the R&P from Lexus or Toyota. Its $799 for the Lexus 3.266 and $1,000 for the Supra 3.1. I guess part Im not understanding is having the 200mm diff or 220mm are the R&P universal for both? The R&P in the LS400 is in the big diff and I can get a full diff for $150. Just dont want to wait to get it in and the R&P is the wrong size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Just talked to one of reps at Real Street. Basically having the 200mm diff I am stuck with the R&P I have. To go to any longer gears I need to upgrade to the Big Diff.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Lexus gs400 diff is 3.26 and will work just fine as it is a 200mm diff. Ive sold tons of them through the years. It is however a small flange for the driveshaft so you will have to use your large flange from the 3.76 diff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lexus gs400 diff is 3.26 and will work just fine as it is a 200mm diff. Ive sold tons of them through the years. It is however a small flange for the driveshaft so you will have to use your large flange from the 3.76 diff.
Where would you suggest the best place is to find one?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but i installed the GS430 3.26 Diff in my NA housing , to match my Getrag 6 speed
and if i want an Aftermarket LSD, Kazz is the only one that i found that would drop in without issues.

So mine is the small diff. Hope it helps a little ?

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Thanks Ken but responses like yours are the reason why this forum is dead. If you had read that post through and through like I have before my OP it does not directly answer my question.

The question is does anyone make a different ratio gear for the 200mm diff. All the longer geared “big diffs” are 220mm and only the shorter gearing comes in the 200mm.

So back to the question, does the 3.266 gear from a Lexus fit the 200mm diff?
Well, okay. I apologize for being one of the reasons this forum is dead, although its death didn't prevent you from asking for assistance. As has been posted by others, the thread I linked is the answer to your question. More importantly, Wreckless, the thread starter, pops in (he's presently in Kuwait) whenever someone posts a question and needs an authoritative source to address their issues. Good luck.

Ken.

·
From the land down under
3,811 Posts
Very sad to see a member making such baseless claims, least of all, against Ken, who is one of the most helpful members on this forum. Without people like Ken, and Jeff(Wreckless), this place would have died off a long time ago.

There are many reasons why this, and other car forums are on the decline, but I can assure you that it has zero to do with the select few of us who stick around here, doing all we can to assist those that have questions, and just because somebody links you to a thread, doesnt mean you should take offence to that, especially if it does, in fact, contain the info you require.

Hopefully you have found the info, and can now move forward with getting your diff sorted :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
So
Would you recommend the Lexus gs400 3.26 200mm diff over the OS Giken LSD 200mm diff? Im debating on which to upgrade into my NA pumpkin.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So

Would you recommend the Lexus gs400 3.26 200mm diff over the OS Giken LSD 200mm diff? Im debating on which to upgrade into my NA pumpkin.
I think some of these terms are incorrectly being thrown around. The Lexus 3.26 "diff" is actually a whole used fully assembled "pumpkin" or "housing", which is fully assembled with the ring and pinion and an open "diff". The OS Gilken is a limited slip "differential" to replace an open or Torsen diff. The diff gets bolted to the ring gear.

Unless you are talking about just buying a new Lexus 3.26 ring and pinion, which you can swap into your N/A pumpkin, along with the OS Gilken diff. The work is recommended to be done at a shop since all the clearances will need checked. You would also need new bearings, an assortment of shims, and seals.

Al

·
Registered
753 Posts
So

I am horribly biased towards OSGiken LSDs but I have an OSG 1.5 way LSD in the GS400 diff and love it.

But as T6Rocket clarified above the GS400 diff is going to be an open differential. If you want to swap the R&P into your NA housing you'll need to do all the work T6 listed, or if you want to swap the whole GS400 diff assembly you can usually just swap the open diff for an LSD without the major work as long as everything is in good shape. You'll still want to verify gear contact pattern before and after the LSD swap to be safe.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
I am horribly biased towards OSGiken LSDs but I have an OSG 1.5 way LSD in the GS400 diff and love it.

But as T6Rocket clarified above the GS400 diff is going to be an open differential. If you want to swap the R&P into your NA housing you'll need to do all the work T6 listed, or if you want to swap the whole GS400 diff assembly you can usually just swap the open diff for an LSD without the major work as long as everything is in good shape. You'll still want to verify gear contact pattern before and after the LSD swap to be safe.
Incorrect, the flange on the gs400 diff is not correct for a TT driveshaft therefore it wont just bolt in. Also, there is alot of work needed just to do the LSD also as nobody in their right mind would do this without just doing an entire rebuild.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts