Supra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
  • Buy ls430 diff for $250 from LKQ (or any other small diff/big flange combo)
  • Swap LSD into ls430 pumpkin (rebuild it or just run it)
  • Install in car
  • Done
Since you have a TT Auto diff (small diff/big flange) then you will be fine....unless they swapped the big flange for a small flange depending on your trans/drive shaft.

*I have a ls430/v160/jdm 6sp driveshaft (shorter for the small diffs)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Incorrect, the flange on the gs400 diff is not correct for a TT driveshaft therefore it wont just bolt in.
If v160, the US TT 6sp driveshaft won't fit but a JDM TT 6sp driveshaft from one that has the small case will. Which would be 6/96-02 going by the mention link.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'll also throw my hat in for recommending the OSGiken LSD if you have the funds to make it happen. My Mk3 went from being quite the tank slapper coming out of transitions that involved oversteer, to very nicely controlled via my right foot. It's smooth to the point of almost being easy. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
Thanks Ken but responses like yours are the reason why this forum is dead. If you had read that post through and through like I have before my OP it does not directly answer my question.

The question is does anyone make a different ratio gear for the 200mm diff. All the longer geared “big diffs” are 220mm and only the shorter gearing comes in the 200mm.

So back to the question, does the 3.266 gear from a Lexus fit the 200mm diff?
Wrong - assholes like you are killing the forums.
Biting the hand that feeds because you can't fucking be bothered to read a stickied fucking thread is ridiculous. It makes people like me, and Ken, and everyone else that have been in the game a LONG time just want to throw up our hands and give the fuck up helping you people. There's no pleasing you lazy pieces of shit and we're fucking tired of answering the same fucking questions over and fucking over again. If you searched this forum, you did a fucking shit job of it since it's a stickied fucking thread. Fuck.

BTW, I took a lot of time to laboriously fucking explain everything you're asking about and more in that differential thread. Seriously, read it and learn and know. I spent a LOT of fucking time gathering that information and scouring junkyards.
It explains it all. 200 vs 220, which ratios are available in what, what bolts in with what. Yes, the 200mm R&P's swap with other 200mm housings it's all the same Toyota shit. So buy a $900 new R&P like a dumbass instead of spending $250-400 on a Lexus diff, be my guest.

Incorrect, the flange on the gs400 diff is not correct for a TT driveshaft therefore it wont just bolt in. Also, there is alot of work needed just to do the LSD also as nobody in their right mind would do this without just doing an entire rebuild.
Every 98-2000 GS400 diff, as well as the 01-05ish LS430 and GS430 and 02-06 SC430 all are a 3.266:1 open differential that's a 100% drop in to a JZA80 with a TT auto driveshaft. The TT 6-spd shaft for a 220mm diff is too short and the NA driveshafts have the small flange companion flange that doesn't meet up with the 98+ V8 model and TT Supra size large flange.
I've used the 98-05ish Lexus V8 diffs or recommended them for dozens if not hundreds of V160 or CD009 conversions at this point and so long as the parts were correctly identified, zero issues. Any LSD for the TT auto Supra is a drop in. About 80% of the time just dropping a Kaaz or OSGiken into a Lexus V8 pumpkin does not require any other parts or changes - you can leave the pinion alone entirely and simply reassemble the diff with the shims on the sides they were installed in. On the other 20%, only a shim adjustment was needed. I've never needed to reset pinion depth unless I removed the pinion flange for some reason and thereby needed to replace the crush sleeve, pinion seal, etc. I agree, though, that doing all of it is a damn good idea 'while you're in there'.

The Lexus 200mm diff housing is noticeably heavier than the Supra 200mm housing and IMHO I believe it to be stronger and more resistant to flex. Whether or not that's enough to matter when the crush sleeve pushing outward and causing R&P tooth damage, or matters when the spider gears tend to fail in stock open diffs and stock LSD's at 650+hp power levels when abused on sticky tires, well, that's for the engineers to figure out.
Obviously the 220mm big diff in the factory US spec 6MT cars and early JDM 6MT TT cars (before May 96 production date) is better than any 200mm option but yeah. Cost is a mofo these days.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Jeff, I have a ton of these flanges....I thought they were smaller. BUT, I also have a 220mm diff, is it the same? I never paid much attention to them as all I did was cannibalize the diff for the R&P. Could have sworn differently! Id def leave the pinion if I had the option, measure and adjust....new bearings/seals.

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
Jeff, I have a ton of these flanges....I thought they were smaller. BUT, I also have a 220mm diff, is it the same? I never paid much attention to them as all I did was cannibalize the diff for the R&P. Could have sworn differently! Id def leave the pinion if I had the option, measure and adjust....new bearings/seals.
Yes, the 220mm always came with a big flange as best I can tell, the only possible exception being the very rare and weird GCC market NA's that came with a 220mm but I can't fathom why they would go with a small flange and not stick to the same PN as used in the euro market TT autos with the same 3.58 ratio.
The flange for the 220mm is the same as the 'big flange' 200, but I've run into a lot of folks that were running a 'big flange' 200 that was actually a small flange. It's a mess. Toyota only made those two driveshaft damper/coupler/ 'donut' sizes for the JZA80's from everything I've seen, the only confusion has been identifying that, and a previous mistake I made in my diff sticky on early V8 Lexus models being a 'big flange' was a source of a LOT of confusion, and that's 100% on me. I caught that error some years ago and changed it in the sticky, but the info had been posted for years so there's still honest confusion about it that I caused.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts