Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright as some of you know,
I have an 88 with a 1jz swap..
I picked up an 89 in near mint condition.

My questions are:

Seeing how I already bought the swap bracket for an 88, Will those work with the 89 too?
Or will I have to get the 89-92 swap brackets?

and my other question is:

Can I just take the interior dash harness and swap it into the 89 that way I don't have to re-pin the 89's harness and then I can have the 89 harness laying around if I ever want to go back to 7m-gte?

Thanks for the help, want to get the swap done as fast as possible.

·
Driving: 1991 Supra Turbo
960 Posts
1989 is actually a tricky year for Supras. The early '89 came with the pre-89 Subframe, and the later ones came with the post-89 (JZ compatible) Subframe. You have to find out which one yours is. You can look at the date... I wanna say they switched over to the JZ subframe around March or so, but I can't confirm that by memory. If the date shows that the car was made late 1988, then it's definitely a Pre-89 Subframe. If that's a bit iffy to figure out, then you can look at the mounts. Did your 89 Supra come with a motor or at least some motor mounts? If so, you can compare them. The pre-89 Supras use Square Mounts while the post-89 uses round ones.

Early 89:

Late 89/MK4:

If it ends up being an Early 89 Supra, then you can reuse your JZ brackets. If it's a late 89, then it already has a JZ compatible subframe, and you can reuse the stock mounts/brackets. However, of course if the car didn't come with any mounts/brackets, then you'd have to buy those. It's difficult for me to show you the differences between the actual subframes. I can't find any pictures to help out.

As far as your interior dash harness, I can't tell you for certain if that would work. HOWEVER, if you can find an extra 7M harness, you can take the plugs that go into the interior harness, and use that to make a jumper harness from the Interior Harness to the 1JZ harness. That's what I'm doing to make my 1UZ work on my Supra.

Hope that helps.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what your talking about in differences in sub frames, i took my 1jz out of a 1991 rhd and saw the differences.
I was just wondering because I have poly mounts in my 88 that I really want to re-use.

Thanks for the heads up though, I never really thought about making a jumper harness LOL!
That's a good idea...

Thanks for the info.

·
Driving: 1991 Supra Turbo
960 Posts
No problem, man.
I'm curious. Let me know when you find out if it's an early 89 or a late 89.

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an early 89, made in 88, and has square style motor mounts, so I'm good to go!
I love my poly mounts

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
fkn double post crap

·
addicted
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i started thinking about the swap and was like ahhhhhh fuck! thought id have to buy more motor mounts..

Anyone purchased the diftmotion intercooler kit?
Its got all the pipes welded and what not, looks legit, just want to know about fitment with it.
Intercooler kit for 1jz stock twins

1 - 8 of 8 Posts