Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the track today and I SUCKED. I ran a lousy 13.9 @104.4 I am full BPU with a few extras. I am tuning it on S-AFC and zeitronix widedband 02. I have come to realize that my clutch doesn't allow me to shift smoothly AT ALL. I know that some MK3s are not that great with the R154, but this is a bit much. I have the SPEC Stage 5 iron disc. I need help because I know my car should be running 12.5's . I ran a guy with another 1jz MK3 who runs 12.7's consistantly and I PUT 2 CARS ON HIM on the highway. But I get to the track and it just won't do right. I know I am not the greatest driver, but it would do a whole lot better if I could shift quicker. Also I need this clutch to be strong enough to handle the single that I am soon-to-be putting on. I am going to crank it up when I get the single (25 psi or more) so I need a SERIOUSLY strong and SLIPPABLE clutch. Nothing unsprung. Any ideas?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the HPF feramic 6-puck sprung disc. I love it. I dont have a single yet but soon. It is supposed to hold 600whp or so.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Heres the clutches I have used with 547whp and drag racing all the time..

ACT HD - This clutch is stock feeling and has stood up to some serious racing. [email protected] best with many 11.6 - 11.7 passes.. I would guess I have 25-30 passes on this clutch and it just finally showing signs of slipping in high gear. I slip the CRAP out of it when I launch too. I really have a thing for ACT.. They are not the strongest clutches out there, but they package everything nice and include everything you need to do the job for a very decent price.

RPS Max - After waiting months for it I was dissapointed. Very hard engagement for pretty much the same results as the ACT. Maybe got 25 passes out of it.. It gave up the goat in 1 pass but never really started slipping.

HPF Feramic - Maybe I just had bad luck, and I do like HorsepowerFreaks, been a customer for many years.. But this clutch pretty much ruined my trip to vegas last year. This feramic material is VERY sensitive to break in procedures.. After putting about 300 break in miles on my clutch it seized up to my brand new flywheel on my 2nd pass in Vegas. I was not the only one this happened to that year in Vegas. 2 MK4 guys I know had it happen too. If you go with this clutch and make damn sure that you a. are running a stock flywheel, and b. break it in for at least 1000 miles before you go beating on it.

My next clutch will be an exedy 4 or 5.. I am interested to see how slippable these are as some muti disc clutches are not slippable at all.. then some (like the Tilton) love to be slipped all day long.

·
Registered
586 Posts
MattOneDime said:
HPF Feramic - Maybe I just had bad luck, and I do like HorsepowerFreaks, been a customer for many years.. But this clutch pretty much ruined my trip to vegas last year. This feramic material is VERY sensitive to break in procedures.. After putting about 300 break in miles on my clutch it seized up to my brand new flywheel on my 2nd pass in Vegas. I was not the only one this happened to that year in Vegas. 2 MK4 guys I know had it happen too. If you go with this clutch and make damn sure that you a. are running a stock flywheel, and b. break it in for at least 1000 miles before you go beating on it.
Damn... my clutch b4 the feramic seized on my lightened flywheel!!! It was a sprung 6-puck carbon-kevlar. This was due improper break-in procedure. Getting giddy and dropping clutch!

I went to the HPF feramic after and made sure I did the 500+ mile breakin. I even went a couple hundred extra b/c of new FW and PP. Almost 800 total.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
MattOneDime said:
My next clutch will be an exedy 4 or 5.. I am interested to see how slippable these are as some muti disc clutches are not slippable at all.. then some (like the Tilton) love to be slipped all day long.
Im interested as well... I really dont want to the coin for the tilton if i dont have to..

·
Registered
586 Posts
jblaze said:
881j, how does that clutch feel in traffic?
I would highly recommend this clutch. In traffic, it still feels like butter! My PP is what kills my calf. This is not one of those clutches that you need to rev the engine @ 2k to get it to slip smoothly. I have gotten used to it and do it ~1k. Just blip the throttle once... if that... and you're off!

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
tissimo said:
Im interested as well... I really dont want to the coin for the tilton if i dont have to..

you dont have to get a tilton..

os giken and ATS make great twin disk clutchs for the r154 and the arent that expensive..

i personally ran the rps 6puck for a few years and never had a problem with it making over 650whp and numerous times to the track..

it did start slipping after awhile, but its not rated for much more than that. i never liked when i had the ACT..

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
jblaze said:
What is ORC? I have never heard of this. And Matt, as always thanks for your advice.

Im sorry its an OS giken twin plate for 1jz. Send me a PM i'll give you a killer deal on it. it has all the hardware to make a push type (all OS clutches are push type) OS flywheel and all the twin disk setup.

ORC= Ogura Racing Clutch FYI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts