Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone is trying to tell me that an oem paper filter offers superior filtration to that of a K&N, which I am tempted to not believe.

Anyone know of any good tests about this? I remember one comparing K&N, Apexi, HKS, stock etc etc but without search I'll never find it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The oem filter does filter better but it is also alot more restrictive, the key is trying to find the best aftermarket filter for how YOU drive, and where you drive.I.E race cars that have no fikter, or just a metal screen in front of the inlet on the turbo, or rally cars that sacrifice a few hp to make sure no dust gets sucked in....

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
paper filters do NOT out filter a K&N

I know this firsthand on my old truck, kept getting dirt and dust into the carb (offroading), K&N stopped all that and even saved it when water went over the hood (found silt around the filter but the filter didnt' let any through)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's largely design dependant. Not all paper filters are created the same just like none of the aftermarket performance filters are the same. Typically, paper filters are far more restrictive and much better filtering than fabric or oiled fabric filters.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the oil soaked filters work better than anything I've used, but they do clog up and are a pain to deal with IMHO...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts