Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my GReddy Type-R BOV in my Typhoon. The vacuum line source is the intake plenum and goes to the top nipple. The lower is open as directed by the instructions. I loosened the not and backed the threaded bolt out all the way and then replaced it until it just started tightening up, meaning it should be all the way loose, right? Well, it will NOT vent air under any circumstance light boost or WOT full boost (~25psi) and I'm still getting compressor surge. I want to make sure all my connections and adjustments are right before I go back to the place I got it from. I requested the standard spring when I ordered it but it's possible that I was given a stiff spring.

So, any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Bump. I got a request for this problem too.
The top port has a vac line coming from the intake manifold.

The bottom port is open. The bov doesn't open neither on 5 psi nor 30 psi.

The bottom port does suck a little bit of air when it's supposed to open.

people who have ths bov on their car, please let me know how you have your greddy type-r installed.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
well lines should be run correctly, i just checked mine and the top has the vacuum source and bottom is open. try just backing it out until it does blow off, even if the screw is not tight because the pressure will cause it to close, not the spring.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
well lines should be run correctly, i just checked mine and the top has the vacuum source and bottom is open. try just backing it out until it does blow off, even if the screw is not tight because the pressure will cause it to close, not the spring.
I think it's adjusted out to where the screw isn't even making contact with the plunger on the inside of mine... still nothing. I can back it out more but I'm afraid if I do it'll fall out.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
try pulling the hose off and feeling if it is in fact getting vacuum, it could be clogged or kinked or something, cant hurt to try. then put another hose connected only to the BOV and suck on it and see if it opens. this will narrow your problem down to either the vacuum source or the BOV.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
try pulling the hose off and feeling if it is in fact getting vacuum, it could be clogged or kinked or something, cant hurt to try. then put another hose connected only to the BOV and suck on it and see if it opens. this will narrow your problem down to either the vacuum source or the BOV.
I don't think I can generate the force needed to open this valve. I can barely even budge the valve using my thumbs so I doubt my limited sucking experience will suffice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you get the "Stiff" spring version?
If you have the tools you might want to take the head off and check the spring inside.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
norinhsi said:
Did you get the "Stiff" spring version?
If you have the tools you might want to take the head off and check the spring inside.
That's what I'm wondering. I told him I didn't want the stiff spring and I'm wondering if that's what I got anyway.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
what pressures are the 2 springs rated for? I have no idea what spring I have - I just installed the bov.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mkivbren said:
what pressures are the 2 springs rated for? I have no idea what spring I have - I just installed the bov.
It's near impossible to find this info but if memory serves me correctly the standard is rated at 35psi and the stiff spring is rated at 50psi.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
jesus mighty! 50psi!! I may put a pic up of mine, i bought it used. It has a 1/8" dia nipple which I assume is the vacuum nipple and then on the other side a little lower is a threaded hole. I assume this is the hole you guys are speaking about to leave open. Good thing I read this I was about to plug it. I'll go see if I can open the valve. BTW, haven't tried to blow it off yet - still need to put my turbs on..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts