Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of letting a shop do mine, but they quoted me about 6-7 hours @ $85 per hour. That's way too much money.

I personally don't have that many tools in my garage, but I can borrow a friends. So can someone make a list of all the tools I'll need, please.

Also, about how long can I expect to spend on this? I guess I'll just be chilling in my driveway doing this.

Do I have to take off the exhaust to install the rear sway bar? Also do I have to take off the front plastic piece under the engine to install the front?

Most important, is this monkey see monkey do business? Like it's as simple as taking the old ones out, and match up all the bolts.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
installing sway bars should not take more than 1.5 hrs. All you need is a set of socket wrenches and extensions. I find the rear to be easier than the front. Jack up the rear end and remove the wheels. You will not need to remove the exhaust. Unbolt the end of the tie rods that connect to the sways. Then unbolt the brackets that hold on the sway bars and the bars will be off. Installation is the same except you are going in reverse. Would be good to have a tq wrench also. I forget the tq specs though. Make sure you add some white lithium grease to the bushings to make sure there is no squeal. I find the fronts to be a little tougher as there are some hoses to route the bars through, but the steps taken will be the same for the rears except you will need to pull the plastic tray out. Have fun and take your time!

carlo

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so it's basically monkey see monkey do, nice. I thought there might be some funky trick I need to know about or something. I guess I'll just torque it till it feels good. Like a basic set of wrenches will do right? I won't need anything special.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Thanks, so it's basically monkey see monkey do, nice. I thought there might be some funky trick I need to know about or something. I guess I'll just torque it till it feels good. Like a basic set of wrenches will do right? I won't need anything special.
yes just a basic set of socket wrenches will do and some extensions. IIRC you will either use 14mm or 12mm sockets.

carlo

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I guess I can do the rears myself. As all the bolts and nuts look to be exposed.

But for the front, I'll have to take the plastic cover under the car off. Is it hard getting to the front sway bar?

Also, I hear you have to take off the shocks and suspension to change th sway bars.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the front sway bar should not be much harder than the rear. You do not need to remove the shocks to do the front. Once you unbolt the plastic guard you will see that it is not very difficult.

carlo

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
6-7 hrs X 85$ an hour =$510-$595 OH MY.......
All that money for a 1 hr job, if they have a lift it would take literally 45- minutes tops while talking on the phone and watching a Overhaulin episode. :jerkit:

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Supradedupra said:
can you post pictures and do a tutorial?... that would rock!
Man I don't even know what to do now. Right now I'm waiting for the diff mount to come from Curt and I'll install it at the same time.

I'm prob go to this ghetto place (with a lift) and have them do it. I'll prob end up doing it myself, but they have a lift and air tools and shit which aren't readily available at my house.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, after about 2.5hours, I finally got the rear in *phew*

I'll attempt the fronts at a later date. I don't feel comfortable doing the fronts. The rear is basically monkey see monkey do shit.

-----

Edit: are there any tricks to installing the fronts? I noticed with the rears it's much easier if you unbolt the endlinks frist (WHAT A BITCH) and then unbolt the bushings. I unbolted the bushings first (cause it's less torqued and was easier), and boy it was hard as shit to unbolt the endlinks. I ended up bolting the bushings back on then uninstalling the endlinks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i got the rear done, but for the front, my friend said i have to get a lifter or something to raise up the 5-8 feet high at a mechanic shop.
i was wondering if i could jack up the car, with regular powerbuilt jacks maybe two and slide underneath the car and take out the plastic tray, and replace the front sway bar.
is it possible? cause my friend who took a look said the bar has to be lift up that high in order to slide it out horizontally.

thnx

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
damn it took you 2.5 hours to do that rear? j/k. the front is a little more work but is pretty simply. it did it once and it took 45 min. total (thats including installing a trd exhaust). for the front you just unbolt it and twist and turn, it comes out, pretty easly. i did all this on a rack and for the front if you have access to one, USE IT. let us know how it turns out.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea it took me awhile. The bolts on there were rusty ass hell. Had to run to Autozone to get PB Blaster, then had to wait 45 mins for it to do its thing. All in all, I took my time. I dedicated that day to installing the sway bars so I was in no rush to break anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts