Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a lightweight flywheel from Fidanza and also bought a new ACT street disc and extreme pressure plate. I thought I would be getting a sprung hub, but what showed up was a solid hub. I really dont want a clutch that is like an ON/OFF switch, I wish it to be as streetable as possible. Well I come to find out that the stock flywheel is a two piece unit that allows for some play and that is why you dont need the sprung hub, so I've been told. Now that I purchased the lightweight flywheel from Fidanza that is two piece solid flywheel I'm concered that this set up will now be the ON/OFF switch I'm not wanting. The Flywheel matches the stockers exact specifications expect for the weight obviously, after speaking the the engineers as Fidanza, they told me that a solid hub clutch plate will fit perfectly, since that is how the stock one is set up, but they'd be concered that a sprung hub wouldn fit. Once again,, my biggest concern is the ON/OFF style of clutch, I would really like to avoid this at all costs if possible, Is this just something that goes along with make 600 to 700hp? Anyone come down this road too?
Thanks
Chris in Cleveland

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Prepare to mess up your tranny. The lighweight flywheel works best with the sprung hub or carbon clutches since the clutch takes the impact, not the tranny. The stock flywheel is a dual mass flywheel and is meant to take the shock vs the solid stock clutch. When you eliminate the dampening of the stock flywheel, some other part must take the abuse. If it isn't the clutch disk, you will be shocking your tranny itself. Not very highly reccomended.

Adam

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats what I would like to avoid, but are you telling me that those 4 to 6 little springs are that strong that they actually make a difference in asborbing the abuse when the flywheel is spinning at 2 to 6k rpms? Anyone have a pic of the Arizona disk?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Kama Supra said:
Well thats what I would like to avoid, but are you telling me that those 4 to 6 little springs are that strong that they actually make a difference in asborbing the abuse when the flywheel is spinning at 2 to 6k rpms? Anyone have a pic of the Arizona disk?
The AZ disk is a solid disk for use with the stock dual mass flywheel. If you have a LW FW it is recommended that you use a spring hub disk like Adrocktt said.

·
American Muscle
217 Posts
Hey man! The way to go is to run the RPS blue pressure plate with the stock disk, and stock flywheel, it will hold the power. Like adrocktt said that set up will mess up your shit big time!! Larry

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
As I said before that set up may cause severe damage. It would place all the stress on your gears and tranny. The springs allow movement in the clutch disk to absorb the kinetic energy shock. Even certian OEM set ups use a system like that to absorb energy. The RPS blue preassure plate is pretty agreed upon to be a great unit and able to hold most set ups. The stock disk is a cost effective route, the stage 3 can be obtained sprung (to fit your set up, I have this disk, love it, and I do not have the lightweight flywheel just wanted more shock absorbtion), or the ultimate would be the carbon carbon unit with it's supplied lightweight flywheel. Overall I hope that answers some quesitons, it may be time to sell either the flywheel or AZ disk. RPS stage 3 is reccomended by me! Take care, hope that helped.

Adam

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
How is the engagement with the rps stage 3? Similar to stock(regarding the ease of slipping it from a stop) with more pedal pressure? Thanks!

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
I have an act clutch, and i have the disk so that it is half carbon half ceramic and then i bought a lw flywheel (muller) will this affect my tranny

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
sonik said:
I have an act clutch, and i have the disk so that it is half carbon half ceramic and then i bought a lw flywheel (muller) will this affect my tranny
No one can say for sure, but I would not want to guinnea pig it. There is certianly a potential for tranny issues whenever the shock of shifting can not be absorbed by either the flywheel, clutch, or other tranny component. The carbon may allow the disk to slip some, as per the carbon carbon clutches which are unsprung but paired with a lightweight flywheel, but in that application I HIGHLY doubt that.

Adam

·
Banned
336 Posts
AdrockTT, please stop posting about how if there is no sprung hub your tranny will explode.

The HKS Twin/Triple and OS Giken Twin/Triple have lightweight flywheels and NO SPRUNG HUB, same with the Blitz twin and im almost 100% posotive the TRD Twin has no sprung hub as well.

I've had the OS Giken Triple in my car for a while and its shifting smoother, faster and better then before when i was on a stock clutch and flywheel.

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
I've had several clutchs in my car....I now wont switch from my RPS stage 3

I've have...stockflywheel/solid disc
and lightflywheel/ sprung disc

the aftermarket flywheel lets you spool up faster and you can feel the diffrence, but you loose the spinning mass, and on a small engine like a supra, that hurts your 60' times at the track.

honestly, the best setup I would recommend depending on your style of driving, is a stock flywheel with RPS stage 2 or 3.

But I would go with what adam said, dont have a flywheel with no dampning, with out at least having a sprug disc. You'll find out soon why

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Jack B said:
AdrockTT, please stop posting about how if there is no sprung hub your tranny will explode.

The HKS Twin/Triple and OS Giken Twin/Triple have lightweight flywheels and NO SPRUNG HUB, same with the Blitz twin and im almost 100% posotive the TRD Twin has no sprung hub as well.

I've had the OS Giken Triple in my car for a while and its shifting smoother, faster and better then before when i was on a stock clutch and flywheel.
Post as you like but read my posts and don't misquote me. Show me one instance I said your tranny will explode with a solid hub disk on a lightweight flywheel set up. I said it MAY CAUSE ADDITIONAL WEAR and PUT THE STRESS ON YOUR TRANNY. I am glad you like your clutch and we would like you to share your experience/knowledge, but don't claim I said it will explode your tranny.
Posted by Adrocktt
There is certianly a potential for tranny issues whenever the shock of shifting can not be absorbed by either the flywheel, clutch, or other tranny component. ...

may cause ....

Not very highly reccomended

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
7MGTE said:
So is a lightweight flywheel recommended or not?
Yes with another form of dampening...ie spring hub disk such as the RPS stage 3. Jack B also reccomends it without dampening.

Adam

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
JoeD said:

so will this combo (lightweight flywheel and sprung clutch) produce any unwanted noise and rattling??

TIA
All lightweight flywheels will have a different and more quantity of sound than the stock dampened unit. The sprung hub will make a noise of it's own when not engaged but is very mild IMHO. The flywheel, which I don't have, I am told does rattle when the a/c is on and clutch is not engaged. It also rattles more when hot. Pressing the pedal when stopped will eliminate this and many can tolerate it. Do consider this first before purchasing the unit.

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts