Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to pickup my car from Bullish Racing on saturday, they were installing my fuel system.

As soon as I walked in they told me to come back to the dyno where they showed me that the #6 cylinder had coolant in it.

The thing I don't understand is that they did a compression and leakdown before they started working on the car and the numbers were awesome.

They also told me that there were a few oil drops under the trans and that the car probably needs a rear main seal.

They suggested that I pull the motor out of the car, put it on an engine stand and allow them disasemble it and if the bearings look good put all new seals in it, if the bearings are worn put in a new Toyota short block.

The car runs strong (over 500 rwhp @15psi) and for the month that I drove it, it never used any oil.

They said at the very least I put a HKS headgasket on it with ARP studs.

They would charge me $1850 for just the headgasket job or $5200 to pull the motor and R&R and $500 to just do the rear main seal.

I don't know what to do, Should I just do the head gasket and see what happens?

Should I do the head gasket and the rear main seal?

Or should I let them pull the motor and go all out?
Someone please give me some good advise...
I just dropped over $6,000 on the car between the fuel system brakes and many other little things that added up.

M

·
0 Posts
$5200 alone leaves you plenty for a brand new Toyota shortblock- I definately would consider that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds kind of fishy to me. I wouldn't do anything. If you do need a new short block you might as well drive this until something major happens, unless it will effect the turbo and other parts..

Good luck!!!

M

·
0 Posts
T78supra said:
Went to pickup my car from Bullish Racing on saturday, they were installing my fuel system.

As soon as I walked in they told me to come back to the dyno where they showed me that the #6 cylinder had coolant in it.

The thing I don't understand is that they did a compression and leakdown before they started working on the car and the numbers were awesome.

They also told me that there were a few oil drops under the trans and that the car probably needs a rear main seal.

They suggested that I pull the motor out of the car, put it on an engine stand and allow them disasemble it and if the bearings look good put all new seals in it, if the bearings are worn put in a new Toyota short block.

The car runs strong (over 500 rwhp @15psi) and for the month that I drove it, it never used any oil.

They said at the very least I put a HKS headgasket on it with ARP studs.

They would charge me $1850 for just the headgasket job or $5200 to pull the motor and R&R and $500 to just do the rear main seal.

I don't know what to do, Should I just do the head gasket and see what happens?

Should I do the head gasket and the rear main seal?

Or should I let them pull the motor and go all out?
Someone please give me some good advise...
I just dropped over $6,000 on the car between the fuel system brakes and many other little things that added up.
How did the engine blow up? Were they dynoing it at the time? If you have proof that compression was perfect before you left the car there, look into talking to Ara the owner, and explain what happened. Someone needs to take responisibility about what went on. I wouldnt shell any money out unless I get some answers. Maybe it's not you who should be paying for the damage to begin with. Keep an open mind and try to talk to them.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Need help making a major engine decision

MONSTER said:

How did the engine blow up? Were they dynoing it at the time? If you have proof that compression was perfect before you left the car there, look into talking to Ara the owner, and explain what happened. Someone needs to take responisibility about what went on. I wouldnt shell any money out unless I get some answers. Maybe it's not you who should be paying for the damage to begin with. Keep an open mind and try to talk to them.
Usually when you dyno, you sign a waiver not to hold the company/service provider liable. Therefore, unless the dyno tuner was negligent, there's no case. :(

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor is not blown, in fact it put down over 500 hp in its current state.

After dynoing however they noticed coolant in cylinder #6.

They think the head is lifting under boost.

Since the car has a slight oil leak they said I might as well pull the motor and have them do the head and oil gaskets.

K

·
0 Posts
get in touch with RanGer

he's in jersey also he know of a shop that can rebuild your motor (they did his) and save you some money !

M

·
0 Posts
T78supra said:
The motor is not blown, in fact it put down over 500 hp in its current state.

After dynoing however they noticed coolant in cylinder #6.

They think the head is lifting under boost.

Since the car has a slight oil leak they said I might as well pull the motor and have them do the head and oil gaskets.
Head should NOT lift at only 500 rwhp.

Your head gasket is shot, no doubt about that. I dont know what to tell you......it depends on your financial situation, and future plans for the car.....good luck.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My financial situation is good.
I just don't want to get hosed.

I don't want them to tear down the whole motor when chances are it only needs a rear main seal and a headgasket.

Then again I don't want to spend a couple thousand dollars replacing a headgasket and rear main seal to later find out it needs to be rebuilt anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
it all sounds too fishy, coolant inside the cylinder? head lifting
only under 500 hp? i'd take my car to Stan the Man at
TunerM in Metuchen NJ, and have him check it all out, if there is
any work involved he'd charge you a lot less anyway, just
verify if what they tell you is real.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
They are very expensive - change the shop and do what you really need to do... Don't buy short block. If head gasket is blown, than just change it for stock one (150$ or something) feew drops of oil = forget about it. Do not waste your money;)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Damn bro...sorry to hear this. You should've bought mine and saved yourself some head aches!!

But really...I went thru something similar last Fall. There was alot of well...could do this or that. Basically, I went all out - figuring that I could save a few $$ now...but what if it really went south. I did a new head gasket/valves..etc...etc.....the list is huge..but well worth it.

Yes - there are cheaper places....I use to goto one...but I am very happy with the work done at Bullish...and they stand behind it. I'd say, call Ara - talk to him....he was very patient with me last year and explained everything.

I wish you luck - I'll be up there on Friday...

Keep me posted.
Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts