Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a 95 NA recently automatic .. the car runs perfect .. but sometimes randomly the o/d "overdrive" light flashes randomly and it wont stop till I shut the car off .. the transmission seems to shift every gear fine .. nothing out of the ordinary I can sense so far .. I hope its not a big problem .. if anyone could kindly help me out .. thanks .

·
Banned
976 Posts
There could be a couple things.... for the sake of your happiness on the forums.. Search before posting...
These will explain your question an answer.. If you dont find an answer in that then state what you found and get more specific with your problem..

Till then search b4 posting..

O/D Blinking Search

Reactions: yellow93tt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I searched I found similar problems being posted on this forum .. but no clear answer basically if you look at the supra manual it says to take it to toyota as there might be a problem with your transmission .. its vague .. as far as the full service manual .. im just gonna have to get a hold of one and see what I can find .. its just really weird .. and im freaked out a bit hopefully its nothing big .. I have heard people before saying that basically your transmission might get toast or something .. anyways ill keep looking and probably take it to someone .. thanks

·
Banned
976 Posts
SAL08SUPRA said:
well I searched I found similar problems being posted on this forum .. but no clear answer basically if you look at the supra manual it says to take it to toyota as there might be a problem with your transmission .. its vague .. as far as the full service manual .. im just gonna have to get a hold of one and see what I can find .. its just really weird .. and im freaked out a bit hopefully its nothing big .. I have heard people before saying that basically your transmission might get toast or something .. anyways ill keep looking and probably take it to someone .. thanks
Have you tried to pull any codes out of your ECU? You should still be OBD1 so all you have to do is jump 2 pins in the diag box then read the codes on your check engine light. www.mkiv.com tech articles is one of the best resources you'll have.
could be your speed sensor. Could be a couple differen things. try and pull codes and if you need the manuals IM me (On aim: Roliks143) after 5pm est and I'll get em to ya.. warning. I will not send it over Dialup as it would take 2years..ok I exagerate but it would take forever.

OBD1 directions and codes

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude you are talking to me in rocket scientist lingo .. how do I jump 2 pins .. I see the little grey diagnostic thingie below the dash .. ill figure it out ill have to read this a few times .. lol
thanks for your help ...

·
Banned
976 Posts
SAL08SUPRA said:
dude you are talking to me in rocket scientist lingo .. how do I jump 2 pins .. I see the little grey diagnostic thingie below the dash .. ill figure it out ill have to read this a few times .. lol
thanks for your help ...
Go to the website I linked in my previous post with the OBD1 directions and codes.
It will show you what to do and how to read it..

BTW YOur diag box is on your firewall in the engine bay. should be twards the passenger side.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
roliks said:
Go to the website I linked in my previous post with the OBD1 directions and codes.
It will show you what to do and how to read it..

BTW YOur diag box is on your firewall in the engine bay. should be twards the passenger side.
Right - read the link.

Also - we have a diagnostic box below dash on driver side too.

G

·
i will save you some time
just go get a new odo as that is the prob 99.99% of the time
i did
it only cost me $130
no more probs

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Come on guys! The obvious answer to the question is THAT THE GOD DAMN TRAC FUSE IS OUT! Every auto that has their track fuse pulled has their O/D light flash when their O/D is button is pressed in. Look in your fuse box under your hoood and see if there is a 7.5 amp fuse where the diagram shows "TRAC". If not, there's your answer. Nothing wrong at all. Just a side effect from pulling the TRAC fuse.

·
Registered
265 Posts
thats wat i was trying to say but he says his o/d light come on occasionally not all the time so i thought it could be something else.. but once again check your traction system

·
Registered
164 Posts
As stated previously, your first step before changing any parts is to pull the codes. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, have Toyota or a diagnostic center do it for you.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm a chump when it comes to doing my own work but the very first thing I ever did was pull the codes. Trust me, if I can do it, then anyone can!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pull the code, with the code at least you know where to start. It could be the speed sensor, odo, trac relay, abs and worst scenerio --- the tranny

kevinb6876: BTW his car is a NA, no "TRAC"??? correct me on this if i am wrong

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it doesnt have .. trac control .. by the way .. I sent roliks a pm .. my brother somehow reset the ECU .. he said to me not to worry about it and that it should be fine now .. I dont know .. it seems to be fine for now .. hopefully it wont appear again .. I have driven about 80 miles since I had it reset no sign of the flashing again .. thanks for your help guys ..

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
I'd be willing to suggest that did not fix it. And someone in here also suggested that it is because the TRAC fuse is pulled? OMG please, anyone with 1/2 a brain can check to see if the fuse is OK! Trust me it's not the TRAC fuse... I have been having this problem, intermittent for the last 3 years and I am SO sick of it. I have had 4 tranny guys look at it, pulled codes, replaced speed sensors, and it's STILL NOT FIXED!

·
Registered
278 Posts
someone in toyota told me it could be loose wires or connections at the trac ecu or abs ecu. I have checked my trac ecu. Connections seems to be good but yet ot check the abs ecu behind the dash.

·
Registered
278 Posts
trust me its not the odo in my case, i have a new odo in my dash and the o/d is still blinking away happily. He should pull codes first and try those fix posted before wasting money on anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts