Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I have a 91 Targa Turbo, Auto. Haven't had the car for nearly 7 years now. Been in a garage, in a non-running state. My cousin has had the car and replaced the head for me probably 6 years ago. The car has been sitting ever since. To make a long story short, the car needs the oil pump shaft replaced to get the car back to normal. He said this requires the motor to be pulled? I would assume that is correct. Does anyone know what this part will run me $$. I'm gonna take it to a local shop and pray they don't empty my bank acct. I have no clue what this will cost in labor alone. If any of you have any clue what this might cost, or any knowledge of this procedure, I would appreciate it. Also, with my car sitting for that many years, what else should I be checking and changing/replacing??
I'm lookin forward to hitting the streets again, been a long time!

Thanks for all the help.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
Not sure why someone thinks the shaft is bad..........
Did they have it out ?
If not, again I ask, why they think it's bad?
Shafts are a dime a dozzen, because they don't go bad.

And it seems to me, that it could be pulled with the engine still in the chassis.
You would have to pull the front pulley, and the inner cover to get it out.
They are only 8" long.

But again, how did someone figure it is bad ????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he said the pulley bolt busted off. He said when that happened, it caused a mess of things to be repaired. The oil pump shaft is whats left. Does that make sense? I'm no mechanic by any means. I appreciate your help!!

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
Well, that makes sense.

You will need a BIG ASS breaker bar to get the crank pulley bolt out, as they are torqued to around 195 ft/lbs.
And a puller to get the pulley off the crank.
And of course you will need the radiator out of the way.
But once you have the pulley off, it's pretty strait forward from there.
A few hoses, etc., that are attached to the inner cover.
But here is the thing, the head gasket sits in the front cover.
I have pulled front covers, but the engines had metal head gaskets.
A stock gasket may come apart if you pull the cover without the head being off.

But once the cover is out of the way, a single bolt retains the oil shaft.

I'll sell you a good used shaft for $20 to your door.

But if it was me, here is what I would try first..........
Put a cut-off wheel in a dremmel, and go in, and cut a screwdriver slot in what is left of the bolt, and see if you can get it out that way,
Or, if you have a right angle head drill, drill a hole in the center of it, and use a screw extractor, and see if you can get it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn. Sounds like quite the job. I'm hoping my mechanics shop doesn't take all my money for something like this. Well if you could send me a good used shaft that would be great. What part of TX are you in? I have a buddy in Dallas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my buddy is headed this way (Kansas) next Friday. I wonder if it would be easier to have you ship it to him?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh. Ok, well i'll get back to you today with my shipping information. Thanks for your help man. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The shafts have been discontinued from toyota, so no new ones are available. I would get the used one from sixpack if I was you. What I wonder is, what kind of shape are the oil shaft bearings are in? Would be a major PITA to change them with the motor in the car. Not to mention the metal shavings from sizing the bearings if you used new oem bearings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after further research I found out that the bolt holding the timing belt pulley on is broken off. I guess its broke off flush with the oil pump shaft. This bolt was torqued at 195 lb/ft from the factory. This bolt could be one PITA to get out period. My cousin drilled it out and couldn't get it out with an extractor. So I guess, I don't even know if the shaft is bad after all. Any ideas??

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
YOU need to go look at it yourself.
That makes NO sense.

The only thing on the front of a 7M that is torqued to 195 is the crank bolt !
So is he talking about the crank bolt, or the oil pump shaft bolt ?

Almost sounds like he didn't know what the fuck he was doing, got the bolt torque spec.s mixed up, and tried to tighten the one on the oil pump shaft to 195, instead of the 18 or so that it is supposed to be.
And what the fuck did he try to take it off for in the first place ?
You don't need to remove it to do a head gasket job.
I would get it away from the dumb shit as soon as possible, who know what else he has screwed up on it........

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Well it does sound like I need to check it out. It has been about 7 years since he worked on it. He has been storing it for me. I told him the bolt was torqued at that. He just said the bolt he was trying to get out was the bolt that holds the timing belt pulley, which he said was lined up with the oil pump shaft. Hell, can someone post a pic of our engine, something that will show this damn diagram. Haha. I'm tired of trying to figure it out. My car is over 3 hrs away and I'm trying to line things up for my mechanic here. I appreciate all your help sixpack.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
Well, I only have this in photobucket:

Crank is at the bottom of course, (there is no pulley on it in the picture) and it is the one that takes the 195 ft/lb figure.
The next one up, on the right, is the oil pump drive shaft, it is supposed to be torqued at 16 ft/lbs ( I actually looked it up).
The top is the belt tensioner bolt, it gets torqued to 36 ft/lbs.
Above (out of the picture) are the 2 cam gears, they also get tightened to 36 ft/lbs.
But all of this is on the on-line manual, I am sure there is a link to it somewhere here.

Sorry, I am getting old and crotchety, so I tend to blow up when things don't make sense........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts