Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm trying to do a auto to 5 speed swap on my 1997 toyota supra na and was wondering if anybody near the 209 or the bay or sacramento knew how to do the swap because i called to get quotes and labor is too much... and I bearly have enough to buy the tranny and everything else needed so any info would be great thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
located in 209 here, might be able to answer some questions if you have any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to know what was needed in order to perform the swap i know i need the :

5 speed manual ecu (what year ecu ? does it matter since i have a 97)
Transmission
Clutch Assembly
Shifter
?

and have you guys ever done the swap? yes its auto to manual

any info would be great

·
Banned
455 Posts
you need
R154 tranny
1jz Bellhousing
Pedals
Clutch
1jz Flywheel
Modified shifter stalk to increase the length by 76mm i believe
Modified driveshaft
you don't need an ecu going from auto to manual.
A few other little pieces and screws\bolts as well.

Good Luck

Edit: Here's how to modify the shifter to fit.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319965

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I just wanted to know what was needed in order to perform the swap i know i need the :

5 speed manual ecu (what year ecu ? does it matter since i have a 97)
Transmission
Clutch Assembly
Shifter
?

and have you guys ever done the swap? yes its auto to manual

any info would be great
It has been sometime since I worked on the drivetrain of a 5-Speed, so I'll try and recall by memory of some of the items needed:

1. You do need a 1996 or 1997 5-Speed Manual ECU (OBD II). 1993 - 1995 will not likely work since its OBD I. I recommend before getting a new ECU is talk to Curt Aigner from Elmhurst Toyota. He can verify if the Auto and Manual uses the same ECU based on the part number.

2. You will need a W58 Transmission from a NA MKIV. Other Lexus platforms and older supra models have a different shifter linkage. Save yourself from extra work and just get a W58 that specifically came from a NA MKIV.

3. Make sure that the W58 has the clutch cylinder release on the left side of the transmission.

4. Make sure you also get the shifter fork with the W58.

5. I would suggest doing the following while you have the transmission dropped:

a. Change out the pilot bearing. Center of the crank.

b. Get a new throw-out bearing.

c. Replace the rear main seal. Like all 2JZ-GE's that have seen it's age, it WILL leak eventually. Minus as well save yourself the hassle and get this done.

d. Obviously, get a new clutch and pressure plate. A common mistake is putting the clutch the wrong direction. There is plenty of posts of people doing this, take your time and make sure the clutch is facing the right direction. Another reminder is, make sure the clutch and pressure plate is for an MKIV W58.

e. I highly recommend getting a new flywheel with flywheel bolts. Based on posts I have read on this forums, generally, its not ideal to get a used flywheel and have it resurfaced. However, it's your call. Another note, don't forget the locktight for the flywheel bolts (also recomended from TSM).

f. Get a new shifter console, the automatic one won't help you anymore.

g. Before you put in a used W58, I suggest changing out the front and rear oil seals on the W58. If it's a new one, no need obviously.

Optional Modifications if you have extra money and time:

1. Get a 93 - 95 NA rear differential rear end for the 4.27 rear-end gearing. I believe a 97 has a NA rear end gearing of 4.08. If your planning to get a turbo you can stay with the current gearing of 4.08.

2. For more fun, get a TRD LSD (MKIV Turbo Auto, NA Auto, and 5-Speed are the same).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts