Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want some opinions on Exhuast options for a NA.

Mine currently is crushed in a few palces, and has a leak.

I'm gonna replace everything from the manifold back, about what should I pay for such a job? I'll be buying my own muffler, the shop could supply the rest, but would proboly be crap parts, so what should I go with as far as a cat/resonator and whatever else goes with the setup to pass Cali smog regulations?

Whats best for NA? 2.5 crush bent or 3 inch? Since I doubt anyone here has a Mandrel bender. Also what should I look for as far as Cats/Resonators? I'm looking to spend a total of no more then $350 including the muffler.

Any suggestions?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
2.5" is probably best ;)

Although people have noticed a performance increase when upgrading from 2.5" to 3". The only reason I'm going 3" is cuz I'm getting it cheap and pick up. :)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Go 2.5" mandrel bent IMO. The mandrel bends can be had cheap.

I spent under $80 to do a 2" mandrel setup on my Corolla (no labour charge though, welded it myself). I also wasn't buying a cat though.

With $350 to work with, I don't think you'll have a problem doing a decent setup.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
What I did was Pacesetter headers (which required a bit of cutting to fit and extending the O2 wire) , a 2.5" hi flow cat, and a pacesetter catback. Cost me about 450 bucks including the labor at the muffler shop. When it was all said and done, it sounded great. I have heard there are better headers out there than pacesetter.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jaguar said:
Buy this: http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=13_170&products_id=96

and this:
http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_16_33&products_id=647

Then hit up the nearest muffler shop and tell them to make it work. They'll build you a flange and run some piping. Make sure you specify that you want mandrel bends. Shouldn't cost more than a C note. So total you'll have spent about $275-$300.

Your welcome. :bigthumb:
Looks good, how loud is that setup gonna be? Attract attention? Just dont wanna get tickets for being to loud (I get enough speeding tickets as it is). And what about Resonators, are they something I can easily add later if needed or does that need to be welded on also? And, hmmm, power gains? I'll proboly feel a diference from my old crusted, leaky exhaust I imagine........

I dont know shit about exhausts :doh:

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
I did pacesetter header to exaust....IMO pacesetter=POS, but I'm just one person. Oh, and PAECO=Pacesetter which in turn = POS not to mention they're a bunch of Bass Ackwards people who don't know how to give a refund...bitter? I think not...:ak47:

G

·
0 Posts
...hmm, w/ that $ u might consider the 'hks sport exhaust' & a 'high-flow-cat', i think u might spend x-tra on s&h, g-luck

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
My car was fine with the pacesetters but the only complaint I had was the black paint finish. It didn't last long and I had to respray it with ceramic high heat black header paint. Or else it melted all the vac hoses under my hood.

·
1,924 Posts
yeah right after I installed the header it melted a hole in the plastic intake snorkle while I was on the freeway, that was no fun. I hear you with the crappy paint job on the header, it looks all nasty now :( oh well no worth crying over a crappy header.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
The header should come with a heat shield IMO. Or make it capable of using the stock one.

The TRD header for my Corolla allows use of the stock heatshield... I don't know why they wouldn't provide one.

·
1,924 Posts
Right you are Jeff, I think that they should make it possible to use the heat shield. But like I said before Pacesetter=POS ;)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
True enough, true enough, lol.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Megan is a good brand? Sounds decent, not ricey?

Again, should I be worried about sound with a setup like that?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Robbman said:
Designing a header that could use the stock heat shield would result in a poorly designed header.
I had the feeling that with the 7M heatshield it wouldn't work too well with an aftermarket header (the 4A stock header is already a decent design, so they can use the stock heatshield without too much trouble). But including a heatshield wouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
271 Posts
get a stock turbo set up from the manifold back to start. no fart cans. if you want to experiment a little....... look at the end of he n/a header you'll see that it has 2 smaller pipes at the flange. what would a 1.5 inch staggered(the pipes run side by side)duels W/no cats and 2 small supertrapps do the car. might be cool.....or a waste of time and money but still it'd still look like a stock muffler from the back and the E-note might be pretty wicked too.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, does that GT Megan Racing muffler come with a Silencer? I notice most of their others says they do and have it in pic, this one says nothing either way and is not shown in the pic.
And should I stick with my old Resonator? I dont want to get pulled over everywhere I go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts