Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Pearl White Turbo R154
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently encountered a problem with my 87 turbo r154. I was cruising down the road, suddenly engine started to cut out and lose power and eventually stall after I had started to pull over. CEL flashed for a couple of seconds. I pulled over let it sit. Tried starting it again, no CEL but idled low, tried driving it noticed significant loss in power and not making boost. Pulled over again checked codes. Came up as 34 and 43. Thought it may be MAF related and replaced it. Before replacing MAF it would rev, but as they came down it was close to stalling.
After replacing MAF it tries to stall after giving it any gas. I have attached video links.
Car is stock with 3 inch turbo back exhaust. If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be much much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check for boost leaks?
I checked visually and couldn't find anything. I have not done a proper test, however. Even if it was a boost leak would it be likely to cause code 43 which is "No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800 rpm while vehicle not moving."?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think it would cause the 43, but Id think it wouldnt crank with that code. Maybe check your grounds under the intake manifold?

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
497 Posts
What happens if you put your old MAF back on? I'm assuming the replacement was used/reman? My 87 was doing exactly what your 1st video shows. I got a used replacement and no issues so I'm wondering if your replacement unit may be bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've got an intercooler pipe cracked, or off somewhere.
What happens if you put your old MAF back on? I'm assuming the replacement was used/reman? My 87 was doing exactly what your 1st video shows. I got a used replacement and no issues so I'm wondering if your replacement unit may be bad.
I replaced it with a used MAF, so very well could be the problem. However, after taking apart my intake to I noticed a plastic piece that was just about cracked in half and not even close to airtight. I think its part of the intercooler system? Runs from under the intake and front right fender to the 3000 pipe. Going to try and glue or replace that piece and see if that solves my problem.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The path of the air flow is as follows Air into the Air Filter housing>MAF>Accordion Hose into Turbo>Down from Turbo back forward to Intercooler-in>Intercooler-out>hose in fender>hose comes out of fender > plastic piece>Rubber tube>3000 pipe.

Please identify the piece that's broken below :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The path of the air flow is as follows Air into the Air Filter housing>MAF>Accordion Hose into Turbo>Down from Turbo back forward to Intercooler-in>Intercooler-out>hose in fender>hose comes out of fender > plastic piece>Rubber tube>3000 pipe.

Please identify the piece that's broken below :)

View attachment 252881
hose comes out of fender > plastic piece>Rubber tube> it would be the plastic piece coming out of the fender. It is split along the seams of the piece.

·
Registered
497 Posts
oh wait, you mean the plastic piece that is actually coming out of the fender itself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, cool. That piece I would think that you could seal pretty easily, but, if not.... 87-92 Toyota supra mk3 7mgte oem plastic intercooler pipe | eBay
oh wait, you mean the plastic piece that is actually coming out of the fender itself?
Yeah the one coming out of the fender I circled in the picture. Not the one in the eBay link. However, I think I should be able to seal it pretty easily with some glue or silicon epoxy of some sort. Thank you for the help I'm thinking this should solve my issue.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sure. You *might have an issue getting it off and on. That piece on the inside connects to a hose with a clamp. You might need to remove the inside fender cover to work effectively with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure. You *might have an issue getting it off and on. That piece on the inside connects to a hose with a clamp. You might need to remove the inside fender cover to work effectively with it.
Ok, I already got it off fairly easily but I'll keep that in mind when I try to put it back on. The hose will probably try to push into the fender when I slide the piece back on.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Exactly. That's why mine in the picture is a small plastic piece. Inside the fender mine has a hose. Yours must be the same. I've never seen a pipe like this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be careful about making shaky repairs that could cause pieces sucked into the engine causing damage.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Be careful about making shaky repairs that could cause pieces sucked into the engine causing damage.
Quoted for emphasis.

Ideally replacing those 30 year old, brittle plastic bits with aluminum would be the path I'd recommend. It's a bit of an investment, but you won't have to worry about pipes cracking on you. =)

Reactions: Dumeinao
1 - 20 of 22 Posts