Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I plan on running 17x10 w/ 275 40 17 in the rears. What offset should I get that will fit?
I used this site http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html
and used the 9.5 +50mm from the mk4's as a reference. Now if I use a +44 on my new rims, the inside will stay the same but the outside will extend.
How close is the mk4 rims on the inside on our cars? Is there much room (stock suspension), or should I increase the offset another +2 (+46mm) and extend the wheel out farther?

What can I safely do w/o sticking out and rubbing on the 17x10?
Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
on a 9.5 rim 50+ is the most it will go, anymore and it will hit the strut and other conponents. on the same rim 35+ is the most towards the outer lip of the fender, anything lower will probably require rolling your fender, changing caster or using rubber bands for tires.

on a 9.5 a 35 offsett will stay nicely flush with the fender while giving you @1" on the inside to play with, meaning you can run another .5" on your rim 10".

on a 10 inch rim you can run 35+ up to @38+ ( may vary from manufacturer), ive never seen a 10" with an offsett of 39 or 40 that will fit the MK3 ( according to the measurement, im not sure it will clear the suspension componenets)

a 46+ on a 10" rim will most likely hit.

stock mk4 9.5" 50mm good start anything more and will hit yor strut
so now u want 10" , and you want 44mm, thats 6mm away from the strut, .5" that you are adding to the width is not the same as 6mm. its half inch =12.7mm
so 50-12.7= 37.3 offset

38 offset on a 9.5 rim will give you a .5" to play with.
so 38 on a 10' rim will work.

HOPE I MAKE SENSE>

PEACE IM OUT

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now you say that the offset should be around 38mm tops.
When using the calculator, and using [email protected] as the base, it says that 10"@38mm will extend 6mm out (towards fender) and 6mm in (closer to strut tower). Will that extra 6mm cause it to hit the strut tower and rub on the outside?
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html
Thanks

I know for a fact that 18x10 w/ 38mm will work, 285/30/18 but since I am using a small size rim 17x10 and 275/45/17 will that cause any difference? Or will it be offset by the profile of the tire?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
on a stock suspension with a 17 size you might get away with running a smaller offset, the lower the more it extends out.

hmm, lets see.

Current Wheel Width 9.5 inches Current Wheel Offset 35mm
New Wheel Width 10 inches New Wheel Offset 38 mm

The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 9mm LESS
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 3mm

Thats what i got, thats a perfect fit, the 9mm+3mm= 12mm= .5"
which is what your adding to your 9.5"+.5"

tires have nothing to do with the wheel offset as far as clearing the components. one is wheel fitment and the other is tire size.

i guess what you are asking is, which tire size to run on a 17x10 right?
well, NO a 275/45/17 will most likely RUB.
u would probably need 40, or 35 profile.
i would go with something NASTY like 285/35/17 YEAH BABY

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help man. I made a mistake. I will be running 274/40/17 not a 45 profile. I will go with the 38mm offset.
I will send pics when I get it all done. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts