Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Your Neighborhood OG
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am currently in the process of redoing my whole system, including alarm. I now have boston acoustic components in the front and back, I plan on keeping both. I also have my MTX 400w rms mono block powering a JL W3v1 in a sealed 2 cubic ft box. I am happy with my JL just want to take another step up, here are my choices that I am looking at:

1.Buy the new 12JL w3v2 and run the alpine 600 mono block *going to stick with this amp on all my choices mainly because I can get it cheap from my work and I am running the new alpine DVA deck so I want to utilize my AI link

2. Get a Alpine 12 Type R for cheap from my work *talking about 50 percent off, think i can get a brand new one with a 4 year warrenty for like 100 bucks

3. Go with the RE audio, probably looking at there SE or SX series

I am mainly looking for a SQ sub, I can careless about rattling the shit out of my car, I do plan on running lots of Dynamat. I also want to keep to the 200 dollar range, and best bang for your buck sub. I am kinda leaning towards the RE audio mainly because the hype Ive heard about them, plus your not paying the premium of JL. I like the type R series and how they sound(especially for the price), its just I want a unique sub that not every highschool kid has in the trunk of there mini van or civic hatch. Also if you guys know of another alternate solution besides my choices I am still pretty open to new options. Again I am mainly looking for a SQ sub, so please no Solo Barak L7s, or Audiobahn.... etc

Ohhh BTW also going with the 791 Viper to protect all my shit, that should be going in sometime next week

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
I don't know much about that JL sub you're looking at, but if you really want an SQ sub, look at the RE's like you said, the Ascendant Audio Atlas 12s and the Adire Audio Shivas (if you want to wait for them to come out).

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,473 Posts
Ocelot said:
I don't know much about that JL sub you're looking at, but if you really want an SQ sub, look at the RE's like you said, the Ascendant Audio Atlas 12s and the Adire Audio Shivas (if you want to wait for them to come out).

RE or Adire Shiva's. :bigthumb:

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
MDSuPeRStAr said:
RE or Adire Shiva's. :bigthumb:
one more vote for RE :agreed:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ocelot said:
I just picked up a pair of Ascendant Audio Atlas 12's. I did a lot of research before purchasing these. I also looked at all the companies you mentioned. I had similar criteria but without any price restrictions. Chad the owner of Ascendant Audio is truely a pleasure to deal with and has top notch customer service. The things that I liked about the Atlas 12's is they are VERY efficeint and take little power to run them. You could run two with a 600 watt amp. In addition, they have an adjustable Q setting so you can tweak your setup to the power and box being used in your particular setup. They have a low mounting depth at 6.5 inches. They use premium parts and even the same quality cast basket found on the world famous Brahma sub from Adire Audio and others. They also use trick XBL^2 technology which makes it very difficult for the speaker to bottom out like a conventional speaker. This technology also allows the cone to have a lot more control at higher throws when playing at high volumes. Basically less distortion at higher volumes.

His company is new and his prices are cheap because he only deals factory direct w/o distributors. The build quality is easily that of a sub that is two to three times the cost. They are the best kept secret out there.

I will have these in my car in a few weeks and would be glad to let any fellow supra forum members take a listen if they are in the Tampa area. Also, I have not heard one bad thing about these subs and the sound quality has been said to be up there with the best of them.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
I say go JL all the way, maybe even step it up to the w6v2 or my baby the w7
:bigthumb:

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
You can't afford the RE SX series on your budget but the SE will suit your needs perfectly. Count one more vote for RE :)

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
my personal favorite for subs is kicker. JL is good but $$$$, if you build the system right, you will have a smile from ear to ear. the bass hit is clean and hard. and its not expensive as well, very respected warrantty, what do oyu need more. if you live in jacksonville feel free to listen to mine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Distorted_Monkey said:
Good luck finding any new RE or Adire subs, everything seems to be out of stock while they are making "upgrades"
I waited months for Adire to come out with the Koda's. Then I gave up and started searching for an alternate sub. The RE was the first sub I looked at. Then ened up with the Ascendant Audio due to its efficiency and the fact it uses XBL^2 technology licensed from Adire Audio. I really wanted XBL^2 and liked what I found out when researching Ascendant Audio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts