Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this is normal or not but whenever i drive my supra (only a short distance) and turn off the car, i get a whole bunch of antifreeze on the floor of my garage. Even if i dont drive that far, just back up from my garage and drive back in the garage it does the same thing.

A whole bunch (about a half of the overflow tank) of antifreeze just spills on my cement garage. Can someone tell me what the problem is and how much fluid is supposed to be in the overflow tank.

Car is in the sig.

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just bought a brand new fluidyne that came with the rad cap.

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NooBSupra said:
Do a search on fluidyne leak problem, its the ECT switch you need to use teflon tape to seal it up.

When i bought my Greddy 3-Row FMIC, it came with the overflow tank which is located next to the battery. how much coolant am i supposed to have in there.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
there should be a full line. if not then fill it half way and make sure your rad. is topped off.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Did you put teflon tape on the threads of the sensor on the radiator. Where is the leak location, under the driver or passenger side? The greddy overflow bottle can be just about completely full and it still shouldn't come out of it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
just curious, did u track where the coolant is spilling from? if u suspect overflow is dumping too much or the radiator cap, maybe you can tape white paper around it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Pressurize the system with a rad pressure tester and see where it comes out. If you can't find a leak take the cap off and allow the car to idle. Look for bubbles. If you see it bubbling you might have a BHG.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
I second Alex D. and Mifesto as the places to start. I doubt it's overflowing the tank...unless there is a leak in the overflow. I eyeball to around half as mine doesn't have a "level" and it does fine. I compare hot to cold to see the differences and keep them in mind (i.e. how far up or down the overflow the coolant is).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i also had a leaking ETC, used teflon tape on the threads and a silicone sealant around the edges of the bolt and also the drain bolt. But i Havent had the car out yet to know if it helped but it should do the trick.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
MKIV4EVER said:
I dont know if this is normal or not but whenever i drive my supra (only a short distance) and turn off the car, i get a whole bunch of antifreeze on the floor of my garage. Even if i dont drive that far, just back up from my garage and drive back in the garage it does the same thing.

A whole bunch (about a half of the overflow tank) of antifreeze just spills on my cement garage. Can someone tell me what the problem is and how much fluid is supposed to be in the overflow tank.

Car is in the sig.

ok, so there is around half of the overflow tank of the coolant running out, even just to move front and back the drive-way ( 5 sec drive ) ? or drive it hours. it would run out about half of the overflow tank? is this what you are saying?

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YaosAuto said:
ok, so there is around half of the overflow tank of the coolant running out, even just to move front and back the drive-way ( 5 sec drive ) ? or drive it hours. it would run out about half of the overflow tank? is this what you are saying?

exactly, maybe like a 30 second quick drive.

·
Banned
397 Posts
MKIV4EVER said:
exactly, maybe like a 30 second quick drive.
Maybe pop the hood as soon as you get home and inspect for where the leak is coming from since it only seems to happen when the car is parked after a drive?

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YaosAuto said:
how about with an empty overflow tank. try to run the car with the overflow tank empty, see what happens.

i actually sucked out the fluid from the overflow tank and left about two inches in there and drove around for a good 30 minutes and now when i came back i noticed after opening the hood that the fluid level on the overflow tank went up about an inch. so i drove around for little more and came back and noticed that the the fluid level now was about an inch and a half and after cooling down came up to about 3 inches. So i guess what happened was that i origionally had too much cooland in the tank and when the motor shut off and gradually cooled down, the fluid level in the tank rose and overflowed out the outlet tube.

So after driving around for a while and coming back home i didnt have any leak and is currently cooling down right now. So in a little bit here i will go and check to see if i get any more leaks.

So far thats what i have come up with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts