Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant figure out problem car sound like its a v8 with a large cam.

To start off i changed the head gasket to the metal 1.2 with the head fully rebilt and (ext. pocket polish work), also 40lb stiffer seating pressur valve springs, arp head studs.

The car is a early 89 turbo (6m crank), the head we used came off a 92 turbo.

We did check the valve lash for the hell of it an it was fine. tride different spark plugs and coil pack and plug gap, tried a cam sensor off a 87-88 J spec motor also a different coil pack igniter . found no vac leaks, and at around 700-775 the vac is reading at (15 in vac) the vac goes up to (20 in vac) at about 1200rpms . this is the rpm the car idels at very roughly at it wont idel any lower . when driven if you let the motor slow the car, the vac jumps to (27in vac).all egr was removed and blocked of.

It seams to run better when driven at higher rpms, has decent power but not all there.

Sorry for the typing grammer. But please help

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like a timing issue. Check the cam sensor, to make sure it is installed corrctly. It can be a little tricky to get right. Also check the cam timing. make sure you didn't set the timing belt a tooth off.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
I would check the CAS again...does sound like fubarbed timing. Also, you might wanna pull the timing belt cover off and make sure your cam gears were aligned propperly. One tooth off and it'll screw lots of things up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes have done both
We will check the cam sensor agin for the 5 time
but please some more ideas will be appriciated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just to clarify, are you lining up the marks on the cam sensor when you are installing it. There is a certain way that it goes in. You line up the marks, then when you put in the CAS, you have to get the gear on the CAS and the gear on the cam to line up properly.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Again I'm going to suggest that you look at the cam gears too...make sure they;re aligned propperly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Two things I would check first: make sure the valve clearance is within specs and to check that the Idel Speed Control Valve is functioning properly. Good Luck!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright we did every thing right but the cam sensor wasnt in perfect. we got it timed to 11 but it wont idle below 750rpms

Remember I put in 40 lb seating pressur valve springs.

Every thing seams fine but at low rpms, but the car sounds like it is a V8 with a large cam (it chops). sounds cool

Would the springs i put in make a difference to the motor or the computer? These were not for the supra there springs that my head guy found that fit in the cups perfectly , and no there not bottoming out, thay have more travel in them till thay bottom out.(then the stock springs).

40lb more seating pressure.

Thanx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts