Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to replace all the stock speakers. Fisrt of all what brand do you guys recommend? I think Infinity, Polk, JL or MB Quart. Next what size should I get? Should I go with component set up front and just coaxial in the rear? Looking at spending about $400-600.

TIA,
Jason
93.5 TT 6spd Hardtop

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
MB quart 6.5 Q series will run about $800. The JL 6.5 XR series (4-500) sound just as good ( if you like rock/rap/heavy, for jazz, ska, vocalists the MB's are what you want) A component and a coaxle will be fine for what you seem to be looking for. Without any experience I'm going to reccoment Thomas Kenyons mounting rings for the install, they look incredible and this guy obviosly knows what he's doing. Also he's charging a very fair price for the product.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I favor Boston Acoustics but you can't get them at a discounted price. May put you over budget. My experience has been that proper installation, crossover points and tuning are just as important as the speakers you select so keep that in mind. I put 6.5" Bostons in the kick panels but it is extremely hard. Did it for proper imaging though. The doors suck for imaging purposes but there are few other options. If you go with the door spend a lot of time sound deadening it. At least the doors are easier to work on than being upside down working on kick panels.

Alpine 7939 CD
Audio Contol 4XS x-over, Highly recommended
Crunch dual 31 band EQ
ADS 100 x 3 Amp
Boston 6.5 Pros
No rear speakers yet
Infinity Beta 12" sub

EQ still untuned but the sys sounds good.

·
651 Posts
Ya know.. this is a matter of personal taste. Kinda like tennis shoes. Some like Nikes, some like ADIDAS, others Reebok. They are all good in their own ways but everyone has their preference.

Of the prior speakers listed, I sell MB Quart, Boston & JL Audio. I will never talk bad about a line I do not sell because it is not proper. You never look intelligent talking shit about another brand.

I can tell you that if my opinion matters, Focal is the best line of speakers for a car. From their lowest line speaker to the highest, their entire line is better than most brands at the same price point.

Having sold just about every line of speakers that has ever existed for a car, I haven't had a line that was better engineered overall.

It seems as though some manufacturers make a good high end speaker but miss the boat on the lower line stuff. Then, other manufacturers build a decent lower price speaker and then all their high end stuff sucks.

Every single one of Focal's speakers at whichever price you pick is my favorite at that price.

Oh well... that's it.

Just another opinion of course.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

C

·
0 Posts
The JL 6.5 XR series (4-500) sound just as good ( if you like rock/rap/heavy, for jazz, ska, vocalists the MB's are what you want)
Ok, um... what if you like all of those things? :) I'm looking for speakers too and I listen to a really wide range of music, I need something that's pretty dynamic. Any suggestions?

M

·
0 Posts
Well I must agree with Thomas on this. I have been an avid user of MB's for years. Many years!!!! And I left formal competition for a while. When I returned I started to listen to some of the new lines that are available. By far the Focal's have the smoothest sound. They are by no means inexpensive, but they sound superior. I was somimpressed by their 5" mini sub that I have my lowered the levels on my JL's.

By the way Thomas I have heard some great reports on the new JL's W7's. I was at nationals last week and was able to hear them in the VW demo vehicle. They were impressive. Not really my sound but they were impressive none the less.

T

·
0 Posts
I have to agree here to go with Focals. I am replacing all my JL speakers in my Civic with Focals. I heard them and they absolutely blew me away. Well worth the money.

N

·
0 Posts
I got a pair of the Focal Polyglass 6.5" components in my Supra powered by a Precision Power 80x2 amp. It sounds badass. Now I just gotta get rid of my POS headunit and get either an Eclipse head or the Clarion 9675z(64 color display:)).

B

·
0 Posts
if you would like to hear some of the JL XR 6.5", I just got them installed two weeks ago. I live in Grapevine. I am at the meet just about every weekend too, contact me and we'll get together.

The JLs are only $350 retail, and I have a pretty good hookup on top of that too. Let me know, I will see what I can do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts