Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of stock stereo on my 94TT, my moms Camery sounds even better. However, I dont wanna spend too much money building a whole "system"...what do you experts recommend?

I was thinking of just upgrade speakers...amps?
I really want some good base on my car, but not overly loud like boom box.

thanx!

Jonas

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup

I am in the same boat as you.

I have a 98 and am preaty sick of the system that is in it. I also do not want to spend too much, but the stock unit looks like it would be a pain in the rear to put something into. It is preaty big. I would love recomendations as well as to what to run. I do not mind spending the $$ for quality, I just do not know what is what in car audio.

Scott

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
I would recommend getting a good aftermarket head unit first. I just put in my eclipse 55040 and it made a pretty nice difference in the sound according to my ears. I also wanted a place to mount my boost controller and turbo timer and was able to do that under the eclipse as it is a single din unit while the factory is a double din. They do make nice quality double din aftermarket units if you want to use the whole space or you can get a single and just use a pocket underneath. Your local audio shop should have these.

After the HU, I would suggest to upgrade the stock speakers. I think the fronts are 4" , but I would call Thomas Kenyon and get his adapter plates to fit 6.5" in there. I have eclipse and love em, but there are other good ones out there. Really up to what your ears like.

Still want more? Now it's time to replace the amp. My suggestion is for a quality 4 channel design with built in crossovers. I use a memphis 3004 pushing 75 w/channel. It looks nice, is fairly small and does a great job.

Those are just the basics obviously. I would highly recommend upgrading to some sort of subwoofer with a dedicated amp. Doesn't have to be big enough to break the rear glass, but just something to help out with the low frequencies.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx!
I replaced my headunit from 94 to 97 and I think it got worse. anyone know the output of those stock HU?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As good as those stock headunits are getting, and as coordinated as they are with your interior, the first thing you need to do when changing a system is replace the stock headunit. Those stock ones just dont have the watts behind them and most importantly the clearity that after market units have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts