Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really confused about what to do regarding increasing boost. The HPF mod or go with the Boost controller like Profec B. What is the max boost I can expect from a Profec B? Also Is the performance with electronic boost controller better than using a manual boost controller? What about the power difference with regard to response 3k to 7k between HPF mod and Profec B?

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Do the searh and you will find a lot of treads.

MBC is the same in performance as EBC but you can not change the boost from the cabin - that is only disadwantage of MBC.:)

I have MBC and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am really kind of "UNCERTAIN" about the HPF mod. It sounds incredible but I don't like the idea of initial boost spike upto 25 or 26 psi and settling down to 20 psi. I have heard of scramble boost before but I think that's a bit high for me. Nothing against Chris Bergemann it's creator.
I have a Profec B and it works fine unless you want more than 27 psi(2 bar). Money would your only consideration I guess. Personally I like changing the boost from my low setting of 15 psi to 19 psi when I need it so I can save the turbos a bit when I don't need to show off. Or I just turn it off for rain or when I get caught in snow for some horrible reason. The other great feature is the Balance setting which will allow you to tune how fast or slow you want to boost to come on.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are boost spikes dangerous?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I believe our fuel systems can take a small spike for a very short time period. Some electronic boost controllers have scramble boost settings, to let you spike your boost initially for a second or so. Personally I don't like how high the spike is on the HPF mod. I actually wouldn't mind spiking to 21 psi and dropping down to the set 19 psi. Although I am sure some of the others have their opinions on this issue. If you don't mind the spikes (HPF mod) then you have already made up your mind and your wallet will thank you later. You might want to visit www.horsepowerfreaks.com and contact Chris Bergemann persoanlly and get it from the horse's mouth. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do the HPF mod instantly if I had a US spec turbo but I have the jap spec ceramic turbos which I dont think can take that much boost, So I guess I have to buy myself a boost controller.
By the way will I get good boost response between 3k and 7k with the boost set at 19psi on Profec B? I hit around 16psi on third gear at 5500 RPM. will I be impressed turning my boost to 19? :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Boost between 3000-7000 rpm range will be very good also considering the fact that you have the lighter ceramic blades. And with the ability to tune in how quickly the boost builds you can decide what feels best for you. Check out www.greddy.com to read more about the Balance knob adjustment. However you might want to check with www.mkivsupra.net a UK based Supra site which is a bit closer to home for you and ask them about the reliability of the ceramics above 16 psi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts