Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i finally got wheels, so for the first time since I got the car, I tried taking the stockers off... well all went as planned, until i found the lug nut of death..

I can NOT get this bitch off. I have a three foot breaker car, and I still can not get it to budge.. I just jump the tire iron on the lug nut.

The nut is not rounded.... and I do not want to round it off.. Any suggestions?

Ron

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If the lug nut is that hard to get off, I doubt an impact gun will brake if off. You will need a gun with at least 850ft/lb to get it off . Almost every time a lug nut wont come off I always get it off with a braker bar and sometimes a jack handle.

Lawrence

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
You can apply constant pressure to your breaker bar and then tap it with a hammer. If it's seized on (which it sounds as though it is) this may help to break it loose. Otherwise, take it to a shop and have them hit it with an impact gun if you don't have one.

Good luck. Stuff like this sucks!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i was always useing the breaker solution... I got it off

I got a 9 foot piece of gas pip and slid it over the tire iron... i still had to heave on it a bit, but it came off... :mrgreen:

Think I will change out that wheels front wheel studs... just to be safe.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Gadfly said:
Well i was always useing the breaker solution... I got it off

I got a 9 foot piece of gas pip and slid it over the tire iron... i still had to heave on it a bit, but it came off... :mrgreen:

Think I will change out that wheels front wheel studs... just to be safe.
I was going to comment that you should go ahead and buy a box of studs. I think I got a box of 10 for less than $10. Nice to have spares. (Get some spare lug nuts too).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Was in the same situation this weekend. I find that a T-bar works better than a breaker bar beacuse you can put 2Xthe force (pushing and pulling) while keeping the torque on the nut more centered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts